Clinical Studies News Bulletin
Monday, October 24, 2016
1. Welcome to our visiting locums:
- Dr Bruce Grahn has arrived to work October 17 – 28, 2016 in Ophtholmology.
- Dr Nora Matthews will be back October 31 – November 4, 2016 in Anesthesia.
- Dr John Baird will be working October 31 – November 4, 2016 in Large Animal Internal Medicine.
- Dr Ellen Krueger will continue working until January 31, 2017 in Large Animal Surgery.
2. Sad News
a. Extending our deepest sympathies to the family of Dr Geoffrey Sumner-Smith, retired faculty member in Clinical Studies, on his passing on October 18, 2016. A memorial is planned for Saturday, November 5, 2016 at 7:30 pm at the Borealis Grille and Bar, 1388 Gordon Street, Guelph. Details
b. Extending our sincere sympathies to Carol Ann Higgins on the loss of her sister.
3. The next Departmental Faculty Meeting will be on
Friday, November 18, 2016 at 8:30 am in 2106 ANCC Bldg 49, CS Lounge.
4. Course Offerings for F17 are due November 1, 2016.
Contact Linda Wing @ firstname.lastname@example.org with details or questions.
5. SEARCH COMMITTEES UPDATE - Ongoing Searches
- Anesthesia Assistant or Associate Professor – interviews completed.
- Large Animal Surgery 50% 3 yr CL Assistant Professor – interviews completed.
- Ophthalmology Assistant/Associate Professsor - posted
- Medical Oncology Assistant Professor - posted
- Radiation Oncology Assistant Professor - posted
- Small Animal Surgery 3 yr CL Assistant Professor – posted
- Diagnostic Imaging 4 yr CL Assistant Professor – posted
- Small Animal Surgery Locum – posted
- Diagnostic Imaging Locum - posted
GRADUATE PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENTS
6. Grand Rounds for Wednesday, October 26, 2016 is from 8 – 9 am in JASC 1438 (until November 16, 2016).
Case & program advisor: Noel Moens
‘Imaging of dysphagias in the dog’
Case Advisor: Alex zur Linden
Program Advisors: Alex zur Linden & Stephanie Nykamp
Interested members of the Ontario Veterinary College are
invited to attend the Final Oral Examination for the Degree of
Doctor of Veterinary Science of
of the Department of Clinical Studies on
November 15, 2016,
at 12:00 pm,
in Clinical Studies Rm 2106 ANCC Bldg 49, CS Lounge, OVC
Thesis Title: “BIOMECHANICAL COMPARISON OF THE 1.5 MM LOCKING COMPRESSION PLATE WITH THE 1.5 AND 2.0 MM MINI-CUTTABLE PLATES & EFFECT OF BONE-PLATE DISTANCE ON THE BIOMECHANICAL PROPERTIES OF THE 1.5MM LOCKING PLATE”
Dr. Adronie Verbrugghe (Chair)
Dr. Noel Moens
Dr. Tom Gibson
Dr. Michelle Oblak
Dr. Amy Kapatkin, University of California - Davis
Dr. Noel Moens (Advisor)
Dr. Tom Gibson
Dr. John Runciman
7. Construction of the new spaces in the HSC will result in high noise levels in the following locations:
- Corridor to the west of the ACC entrance.
- Corridor on the 2nd floor of building 49, Clinical Studies hallway
Saturday, October 29, 2016 - work on this date will be extremely loud, you may wish not to work in this hallway on that date.In both areas, duct work will be installed during the next two weeks, Monday, October 24, 2016 to Friday, November 4, 2016. If you have any questions or concerns at any time during the construction, please direct them to Stephanie Nykamp.
UNITED WAY UPDATES
8. 2016 United Way Campaign Week 3: OVC is at $21,652 of our $40,000 goal, so we are halfway there. UofG total so far is $316.755.
We cannot raise another $20,000 selling cupcakes or chili so forward your pledge sheets!
Incentive draws are happening weekly until October 28, 2016. Pledge sheets received before Wednesday each week will be eligible for the ongoing weekly draws and for some terrific grand prizes to be drawn at the end of the campaign on December 2, 2016. If you have any questions, please contact Judy Metherel at x54768.
9. College Idol 2016 Plan to attend the 9th annual College Idol Talent Show in Peter Clark Hall on October 28, 2016 from 11:30 am – 1:00 pm
As always, there will be great talent, great food and a line-up of special guest judges sure to make you roll in the aisles! Tickets are available from Jen Beehler and from the executive offices – 4th Floor UC. $13 per ticket or $11 per ticket for a table of 8.
Bring your teams, dress up for great prizes and get ready for a great time!
10. Change Starts Here Hero We are trying a unique new fundraiser beginning Monday, October 24, 2016 through to Friday, November 25, 2016!
We have a coin collection jar for each of Biomed, Clin Studies, HSC, Pathobio & Pop Med.
The idea is to collect coin donations from your department. The best part is that some coins add to the total collected and some coins subtract from the total...so, if you have pennies, nickels and dimes, you can take down your opponent total by adding them to their jar. Add your quarters, loonies and toonies to your own department jar!
The tray of jars will start in Biomed today. The jars are all nicely glued to one tray for ease of display and the tray will move through each department over the next 6 weeks. The department with the most money raised will be declared the Change Starts Here Hero of the 2016 United Way Campaign.
Please print/share the poster and try to promote donations during the week that you have the jars..
October 24 Biomedical Science: Room 2633
October 31 Clinical Studies: Room 2142
November 7 Health Sciences Centre: Room 1450
November 14 OVC Dean’s Office Room 2641
November 21 Pathobiology: Room 3838
November 28 Population Medicine: Room 2509
OVC, UNIVERSITY & EXTERNAL NEWS
11. Trade Show hosted by FroggaBio is being held on October 25, 2016 in PATHO, 4th floor lounge between 10:00 am – 12:00 pm. Plenty of amazing promotions and of course, donuts and coffee. An afternoon show will be held between 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm in SCIE Room 4440.
12. The OVC Community is invited to the annual presentation on the DVM Program.
DATE: Thursday October 27, 2016
TIME: 12:30 - 1:20
Location: Room 1714 Lifetime Learning Centre
At this presentation Dr. Kerry Lissemore (Associate Dean, Academic) will update the community on the major highlights of the DVM Program over the past year, including: accreditation, the students NAVLE performance, alumni and employer feedback, and curriculum improvements.
13. The Campbell Centre for the Study of Animal Welfare Seminar is being held on October 27, 2016 in Room 1800 Pathobiology/AHL from 12:30 – 1:30 pm. Details
14. Dale Smith’s Retirement Celebration Join in the celebrations. All are welcome to attend on Friday, October 28, 2016 in the OVC Cafeteria between 3 – 4:30 pm. Poster
15. “Take our Kids to Work” Day will be held Wednesday, November 2, 2016. Details are provided in the linked document. The signed Release and Indemnification Form must be submitted by October 28, 2016.
16. The Pierre Elliot Trudeau Doctoral Scholarship is the most prestigious of its type in Canada and has continuously attracted the very best scholars in the social sciences and humanities. These individuals have a passion for public engagement and are likely to become leading national and international figures.
The University of Guelph deadline to submit the Trudeau Doctoral Scholarship online application is October 28, 2016. In order to complete an application you will need to register on the Trudeau Foundation website. It is important to do this well in advance of the deadline as it will take up to 48 business hours to receive login information.
17. Career Day Thanks to all who made Career Day such a great success, especially to you who participated! The Career Day Committee would like to have some feedback in the form of a very short survey (10 questions for 5 min!). This survey can help make next year an even better event! But we cannot do it without your help. Please fill out the survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/LHSRTRF, before November 1, 2016.
18. OFFICE OF RESEARCH UPDATES - OMAFRA – U of G Research Program: Announcing Call for Letters of Intent (LOI) and Town Hall Meetings - details
Call for Letters of Intent (LOI) for the OMAFRA – U of G Research Program will open Monday, September 26, 2016 and close at noon on Tuesday, November 1, 2016.
19. National Day of Action is scheduled for November 2, 2016. Details from the provost are in the link.
20. Health & Safety Training – First Aid & CPR
Do you need to review your First Aid and CPR? There is a standard first aid course posted for November 2 and November 3, 2016 in need of participants. The course runs from 8:30 - ~2 pm both days, in UC 103. Register online to attend at https://www.uoguelph.ca/hr/hr-services-environmental-health-safety-training/course-registration
21. November 3, 2016 is Global One Health Day www.onehealthcommission.org/en/eventscalendar/one_health_day/
22. Remembrance Day Service Join the University community for the annual Remembrance Day Service on November 11, 2016.
Everyone is welcome to attend. The Service is at 10:30am at War Memorial Hall.
23. Preliminary announcement of a call for proposals to the 2017 Equine Guelph Research Competition. A follow-up email will be sent in a few days, with instructions, once the website is fully active. Proposals will be solicited that fit these parameters:
Guidelines from the agencies that provide the funds stipulate that projects must have relevance to Ontario's Racing Industry (Thoroughbred, Standardbred, Quarterhorse). Any stage of a racing horse's life is relevant, from breeding considerations, through the active career, to post career issues. Using other breeds as models is allowable, as long as the link to racing is clear. The Full Proposal template includes these instructions:
Identify which sector of Ontario’s Horse Racing Industry (Thoroughbred, Standardbred, Quarterhorse, other racing horses) will benefit from the research. Describe the nature of the benefit to the health or welfare of the horse, and any potential benefits to the industry itself. How and in what time frame will the benefits be delivered to the industry? (For example, will they be transmitted via veterinarians, or directly to owners? Will they be immediately available on completion or do they depend on further research or marketing initiatives?) Thank you, on behalf of my co-Chair, Dr. John Baird,
Co-Chair of the EG Research Committee
24. Health & Safety - October is Healthy Workplace Month. Check the link for Occupational Health & Wellness inititatives for the month of October and the Blood Pressure Clinic dates.
Please email Bulletin announcements by end of day Friday to Linda Wing at email@example.com