Clinical Studies News Bulletin
Monday, August 20, 2018
Congratulations to Alex & Emily zur Linden and their family!
Charlotte zur Linden was born August 11, 2018. Mom and baby are doing great.
Congratulations to Dr Joanne Hewson on your new appointment to the position of Associate Dean, Students & Academic! Joanne begins a five- year term on October 1, 2018.
WELCOME TO OUR LOCUMS:
- Dr John Baird will be working in Large Animal Medicine July 16 – Aug 31.
- Dr Tim Preston will be in Small Animal Surgery Aug 13 – 24.
- Dr Robert Cruz will be working in Diagnostic Imaging Aug 20 – 24.
- Dr Tamara MacDonald will be back in Small Animal Surgery Aug 27 – Sep 9.
1. ICE CREAM TREATS To celebrate summer, members of the OVC SAS team will be delivering ice cream bars within each department on Tuesday, August 21 between 1:00 and 1:30 p.m. Please drop by for your ice cream bar in these locations:
Biomedical Sciences - Room 2613–15 (Biomed Lounge)
Clinical Studies - Room 2106
Pathobiology - 4th floor, centre stairwell by lounge/kitchenette
Population Medicine - Room 2509
Health Sciences Centre – Sunken Lounge
Members of OVC SAS will distribute free ice cream and hope this will give everyone a chance to chat with colleagues and meet new ones before the start of another busy academic year.
See you on the 21st for your ice cream treat!
2. STAFF UPDATE Michelle Beaudoin-Kimble will be away August 20-31, 2018. Contact Linda Wing for all courier related inquiries.
3. GRADUATE PROGRAM UPDATE
- The Final Oral Examination for Kimberly Hooi will be held August 23, 2018. Details are in the attached announcement and below.
Interested members of the Ontario Veterinary College are
invited to attend the
Final Oral Examination for the Degree of
Doctor of Veterinary Science of
of the Department of Clinical Studies
on, August 23, 2018,
at 9:00 am,
in Clinical Studies Rm 2106, OVC
Thesis Title: “Optimization of Imaging and Bronchoalveolar Lavage Techniques to Improve Diagnostic Yield of Feline Lower Respiratory Tract Samples.”
Dr. Fiona James (Chair)
Dr. Alice Defarges
Dr. Dorothee Bienzle
Dr. Tony Abrams-Ogg
Dr. Carol Reinero, Atlantic Veterinary College
Dr. Alice Defarges (Advisor)
Dr. Dorothee Bienzle
Dr. Stephanie Nykamp
Dr. Scott J. Weese
4. PHYSICAL RESOURCES UPDATE Construction on College Ave East continues this week. Watch for signs as the road will be closed during this time.
5. Our next DEPARTMENTAL FACULTY MEETING is scheduled to be held
Friday, October 12, 2018 at 8:30-9:30 am in Room 2106 ANCC Bldg 49, CS Lounge. Please forward any agenda items to Carolyn Kerr or Linda Wing, and confirm your attendance by responding to the invitation when it arrives.
6. SEARCH COMMITTEES UPDATES - Ongoing Searches
- Small Animal Surgery 3 yr CL Assistant Professor – in process
- Medical Oncology Tenure Track Assistant or Associate Professor – in process
- Diagnostic Imaging Tenure Track Assistant or Associate Professor – in progress, 2nd candidate, Dr Ryan Appleby is scheduled to interview October 3 & 4 – details to follow
- Emergency & Critical Care 1 yr CL Assistant Professor – posted, open for applications
- Radiation Oncology 3 yr CL Assistant Professor – posted, open for applications
- Cardiology Tenure Track Assistant or Associate Professor – Dr Shari Raheb will be interviewing in October/November – details to follow
UPCOMING DEADLINES, EVENTS & SEMINARS
7. T&P Deadlines for Faculty
Following are the staggered eCV submission deadlines for 2018 by college.
• CBE & CSAHS: August 15 • CBS & CEPS: August 21
• COA & OAC: August 24 • OVC: August 29
There is of, course, nothing that prevents faculty members from taking advantage of the supports available and confirming their eCV prior to the above noted deadline.
8. MEGA Fisher Scientific Product Show The ‘Fifth’ Annual MEGA Product Show will be held in the Summerlee Science Complex Atrium on August 22, 2018 from 10:30 am to 1:30 pm. All are welcome to attend.
9. The Graduate Student University Teaching Conference scheduled on August 30, 2018 is only a few weeks away!
The conference is free for all graduate students (lunch and breaks included).
The conference provides an opportunity to all graduate students to develop their teaching and learning skills through interactive workshops. Also, a great chance to network with graduate students from across the campus.
Interested? Yes, of course you are! Please Register Here
If you have additional questions, please contact Navneet Sidhu, firstname.lastname@example.org
10. Community Breakfast and Induction of Scholars launch the 2018/19 academic year.
- Community Breakfast – Tuesday, September 4 All U of G faculty and staff are invited to the annual Community Breakfast to celebrate the start of the academic year.
Tuesday, September 4, 2018
8:30 am to 10 am
Guelph Gryphons Athletics Centre (GGAC)
Pick up breakfast in the W.F. Mitchell Centre gym starting at 8:30 a.m. Then, make your way to the event centre in the Athletics Centre. Take a seat at a table or in the stands while you enjoy your meal and connect with colleagues.
At 9:30 a.m., President Vaccarino will provide an update and present the Exemplary Staff Awards.
Deans, directors, chairs and supervisors will be asked where possible to provide time for all those who wish to attend.
RSVP online at http://www.uoguelph.ca/president/breakfastrsvp/ or contact Morgan Marini at Ext. 53789. If you need accommodation in order to participate fully in this event, please specify in your reply.
- 2018 Induction of Scholars (previously the Welcome to New Students) – Wednesday, September 5 – please join us for the academic procession.
Following the social activities of Orientation Week, this annual ceremony signals new students' transition to academic activities and marks their formal admittance to the University. The newly named event serves as a bookend to the convocation ceremonies these students will participate in when they graduate.
You are invited to join the procession for the 2018 Induction of Scholars.
Wednesday, September 5
9 a.m. – 10 a.m., Guelph Gryphons Athletic Centre
9 a.m. Gowning and lining up in the W.F. Mitchell small gymnasium
Procession Immediately following the ceremony, please join our new students for breakfast in the main gym.
To confirm your participation in the academic procession and to reserve a gown, please reply online at http://bit.ly/UGinduction2018 or contact Morgan Marini, Ext. 53789.
11. Proposals for New Work Study Positions Fall 2018 and Winter 2019
All details, including a link to the new online proposal form, are available on the new Proposal for New Work Study Position for Fall 2018 or Winter 2019 web page.
A few important notes:
The deadline to submit proposals for new Fall 2018 and Winter 2019 positions is
Friday, September 14, 2018 at 4:30 pm.
Proposals will be reviewed as they arrive by Student Financial Services and the Experiential Learning Hub. Departments will be notified as soon as possible with a status update of their proposals. Your patience is appreciated.
The earliest possible date a job can be posted is August 20, 2018. This coincides with the first date students can apply for their Work Study approval based on financial need.
If you have any questions about the proposal process, please e-mail Daniel Poulin at email@example.com.
Corrections to the CS Bulletin will be posted to this website.
Send news and updates to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday @ noon. Thanks!