Clinical Studies News Bulletin
Monday, September 25, 2017
- Tiffany Jagodich, 3rd yr resident in Emergency & Critical Care received the Small Animal Resident Abstract Award at the International Veterinary Emergency & Critical Care Society Meeting in Nashville Tennessee
- Moran Tal Gavriel, DVSc Clinical Nutrition, on winning the 2017 Waltham-ESVCN student award at the 2017 European Society of Veterinary and Comparative Nutrition Congress in Cirencester, UK, last week.
2. DEPARTMENT FACULTY MEETING The next Departmental Faculty Meeting will be held October 20, 2107 at 8:30 – 9:30 am in 2106 ANCC Bldg 49, CS Lounge. Confirm your attendance by accepting your calendar invite. Minutes can be found at V:\Workgroup_Shares\Clinical Studies - Faculty_Staff\Departmental Meetings
3. MISSED/DEFERRED EXAMS Clinical Studies is implementing a new process for missed/deferred exams. In an effort to assist faculty with make-up exam dates, we have established some “Clinical Studies Examination Dates”. The goal is to offer a combined invigilation period for numerous exams. The first date will be October 27, 2017 form 4:30 – 6:30 pm. Contact Linda Wing with any questions.
4. 2017 STAFF RABIES TITRE CLINIC In keeping with our biennial department schedule for rabies titre clinics, this year’s clinic day on September 26, 2017 to be held in 1701 LLC from 8:45 am – 12:30 pm.
5. FACULTY VACATION FORMS have been distributed and are due back to Linda Wing by September 30, 2017.
6. OVC COMMUNITY MEETING – Update on DVM Program and OVC Construction Join Dr Kerry Lissemore, Assoicate Dean Academic, for an update on the DVM program and OVC construction.
When: Thursday, October 5 @ 12:30 pm
Where: Room 1714 Lifetime Learning Centre
7. DOORS @ OVC The General OVC exterior door schedule has changed effective September 19, 2017, such that doors will unlock at 7:00 am and will lock at 7:00 pm (Monday to Friday). The HSC Exterior Door Schedules have not changed and remain as follows:
Companion Animal Hospital Entrance:
Monday to Friday, 7:30 am to 8:00 pm
Saturday and Sunday, 8:00 am to 4:00 pm
Large Animal Hospital Entrance:
Monday to Friday, 8:00 am to 8:30 pm
Saturday and Sunday, 8:00 am to 1:00 pm
Animal Cancer Centre Entrance:
Monday to Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
Outside of these hours, anyone with card access can use their cards to enter the buildings. It is a good practice for everyone to have their cards with them at all times (e.g., on a lanyard or a clip).
If you would like to report an issue with a door, please provide specific information about the door in question (including door ID) and email firstname.lastname@example.org.
8. SEARCH COMMITTEES UPDATES - Ongoing Searches
- Small Animal Internal Medicine 2 yr CL Assistant Professor – in progress
- Small Animal Surgery 3 yr CL Assistant Professor – open for applications
- Diagnostic Imaging Tenure Track Assistant or Associate Professor – in progress
- Ophthalmology Assistant/Associate Professor – Dr Marina Leis will be interviewing on October 25 & 26, 2017. Itinerary to follow
- Radiation Oncology Assistant Professor – open for applications
9. UNITED WAY
- Clinical Studies United Way Representatives are Nicola Cribb & Linda Wing (SAS).
- Pledge sheets that have been returned to Linda Wing by noon each Tuesday will be entered in the weekly incentive draws starting September 22, 2017 until October 27, 2017. Return your pledge sheet early to be entered in multiple draws.
- Campus Animal Facilities United Way BBQ will be held at the Campus Animal Facility Building 12, on October 4, 2017 at 11:30 – 1:30 pm. Poster
- College Idol 10th Anniversary Show will be held on October 31, 2017. Check the poster for details. Come in Costume or get a team together and come for the fun! Call for Idols
10. COURSE OFFERINGS FOR S18 An updated list of Course Offerings for S18 is due to Linda Wing by Friday, September 29, 2017. Please confirm all course offerings and changes.
11. ANNUAL FIRE DRILLS The Annual Fire Drills will begin on Monday, September 18, 2017 and will continue throughout the month and into the beginning of October (if needed). Full details are included in the link.
GRADUATE PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENTS
12. Grand Rounds! will be held on September 27, 2017 from 8:30 – 9:30 am in Rm 1714 LLC. Residents, Interns, Graduate Students and Faculty in all departments are encouraged to attend.
‘Neonatal Isoerythrolysis in a Foal’
Case Advisor: Dr Henry Staempfli
Program Advisor: Dr Joanne Hewson
‘Oxyporus corticola therapy in a dog’
Case Advisors: Brigitte Brisson & Alice Defarges
Program Advisor: Alice Defarges
UPCOMING DEADLINES, EVENTS & SEMINARS
This year, the University’s Wellness@Work committee has entered a U of G team in the Guelph Family Health Team’s FHT to MOVE Hustle for the Harvest two-week activity challenge. From September 22 to October 6, 2017, participants from all U of G locations can use the FHT to MOVE online portal to track their daily activity minutes. Any type of activity counts, whether you prefer to rollerblade, practice yoga, garden, or play tennis. The activity challenge helps promote a healthy lifestyle – the major goal of our Wellness@Work committee. Visit www.uoguelph.ca/wellnessatwork/fht-move-activity-challenge for more information about this fun and fit challenge and to learn how to register.
14. PET TRUST RESEARCH COMPETITION Applications are due to Carolyn Kerr for signature on October 25, 2017. Details are available through the link or on the Scholarships & Awards link from the Clinical Studies website. Check the Scholarships & Awards links frequently for updates.
15. Gairdner Lecture with Dr Frank Plummer Join us on Wednesday October 25, 2017 for the 2017 Gairdner Lecture “Untold Stories of the National Microbiology Laboratory” presented by Dr. Frank Plummer. Dr. Plummer received the 2016 Canada Gairdner Wightman Award for his groundbreaking research in Africa in understanding HIV transmission and his leadership at the Canadian National Microbiology Laboratory with pivotal roles in SARS, influenza and Ebola epidemics.
16. UNDERGRADUATE CALENDAR UPDATES for 2018-2019 are due in early November. Faculty are encouraged to review the current Undergraduate Calendar pages for errors or omissions. Forward change requests for the new calendar to Linda Wing by November 1, 2017.
17. TOWN HALL MEETING – OMAFRA-UofG Partnership Research Funding Call
The Town Halls are an opportunity to learn about OMAFRA’s 2017-2018 research priorities and to connect with the UofG Research Program Directors and OMAFRA-UofG Partnership program staff for guidance on preparing a strong proposal.
Thursday, September 28, 2017 2:00-3:00 pm Arboretum Centre
Link to our website Call info:
http://www.uoguelph.ca/omafra_partnership/research/en/applicationreporting/Call_Information.asp With thanks, OMAFRA-UofG Partnership Office
18. CALL FOR NOMINATIONS – Presidential Review Further to the recent announcement of President Vaccarino’s confirmation of interest in reappointment for a second full-term, a presidential review committee must now be established (https://news.uoguelph.ca/2017/09/president-confirms-interest-reappointment/)
Full details are provided in the attached call for nominations and accompanying nomination form. This information may also be found online, on the University Secretariat website (https://www.uoguelph.ca/secretariat/office-services/university-secretariat/presidential-selection-and-review) Submissions are due September 29, 2017.
19. SUPER COOL VWR show! VWR is hosting their large product show on Tuesday, September 26, 2017 at Peter Clark Hall (UC Basement) Flyer with the details There will be a Pizza Lunch as well as Coffee in the morning and great door prizes. 28 suppliers to be in attendance.
Please email news and updates to email@example.com by Friday @ noon. Thanks!