- Stewart Bldg. 2539
Steering Committee Chair, Campbell Centre for the Study of Animal Welfare | Associate Professor | MSc (Guelph), PhD (Saskatchewan)
Dr. Haley leads a research program in applied ethology (animal behaviour) and animal welfare science, and he teaches graduate, undergraduate, and veterinary students about these subjects. The goals of his work are to advance our knowledge and understanding of the behavioural biology of farm animals (especially beef and dairy cattle), and to help us improve the ways we handle, manage, and care for them. This in turn will allow us to improve animal health, well-being, and productivity, and enhance our ability to use animal behaviour to answer questions about what animals experience.
- The behaviour of beef cattle and dairy cattle
- Animal welfare
- Maternal and neonatal behaviour
- Social bonds / attachments between animals
- The welfare of culled dairy cows
- Weaning stress
- The long-distance transport of cattle
- VETM*3430 Clinical Medicine I
- VETM*3400 Health Management I
- VETM*3410 Health Management II (Coordinator, with L. Niel, Pop Med)
- VETM*3220 Art of Veterinary Medicine II
- DVM Phase IV Dairy Cattle Welfare rotation (Coordinator, with T. Duffield, Pop Med)
- ANSC*4010 Animal Welfare Judging & Evaluation (Coordinator, with T. Widowski, Anim Biosci)
Professional Experience & Honours
- Steering Committee, Campbell Centre for the Study of Animal Welfare (2007-present)
- International Society for Applied Ethology, Member (1996-present)
- Scientists Committee, Code of Practice for the Care & Handling of Farm Animals: Livestock transport (2016-2018)
- Scientists Committee, Code of Practice for the Care & Handling of Farm Animals: Veal cattle (2015-2016)
- Scientists Committee, Code of Practice for the Care & Handling of Farm Animals: Beef cattle (2010-2012)
- Assistant Professor, Applied Ethology & Animal Welfare, University of Alberta (2007-2009)
- Provincial Livestock Welfare Specialist, Alberta Agriculture (2003-2007)
- Animal Welfare Judging Team, at Iowa State University, November, 2017
- Stop the bawling: Why it's time to consider two-step calf weaning, BEEF Magazine, September, 2016
- Campbell Centre for the Study of Animal Welfare, University of Guelph
- International Society for Applied Ethology
- A short video about two-stage weaning
To see a list of research articles he has published, visit Dr. Haley's Google Scholar profile.
To receive a copy of any specific article(s), simply click here to send an e-mail request.
Search PubMed for additional publications by Dr. Haley.