Professor | DVM, PhD
Dr. Jason Coe is a Professor at the Ontario Veterinary College. After graduating from the College in 2001, he returned from mixed-animal practice to complete a PhD in the area of veterinary communications in 2008. In the same year, Jason joined the Ontario Veterinary College as a faculty member in the Department of Population Medicine where he has established an active research program examining human-animal relationships as well as the role of interpersonal communications on the outcomes of veterinary care. In his current role at the College, he coordinates the clinical-communication curriculum across all 4 years of the veterinary program and is involved in teaching students about the relationships that exist between people and animals.
Over the past decade, Jason has established an international reputation for his leadership in veterinary communications, primary-care veterinary education and understanding the human-animal relationship. From 2010 to 2015, Jason held the Nestlé Purina PetCare Canada Chair in Communications dedicated to improving the relationship between companion animals and people through research and education. Jason currently holds the VCA Canada Chair in Relationship-Centred Veterinary Medicine (2021-2026), at the Ontario Veterinary College, dedicated to research and education in communication and relationship-building to improve the outcomes of veterinary care. As a result of his many achievements, Jason has been recognized by the Ontario Veterinary College Alumni Association as one of their Distinguished Young Alumnus and by the American Veterinary Medical Association with the 2021 Bustad Companion Animal Veterinarian of the Year Award for his notable contributions to the veterinary profession.
Dr. Coe is currently recruiting graduate students to start in the Fall of 2023.
For more information on graduate student opportunities with Dr. Coe, please visit https://rcvm.uoguelph.ca/prospective-grad-students/
- Veterinary clinical communication
- Veterinary teams
- Human-Animal Bond
- Veterinary education
Current Graduate Students
- VETM*3220 - Art of Veterinary Medicine 2 - Phase II
- VETM*4220 - Art of Veterinary Medicine 3 - Phase III
- Small Animal Primary Veterinary Care - Phase IV Rotation
Professional Experience & Honours
Nestlé Purina PetCare Canada Chair in Communications (2010-2015)
American Veterinary Medical Association Bustad Companion Animal Veterinarian of the Year Award (2021)
Cline M, Burns K, Coe JB, Downing R, Durzi T, Murphy M, Parker V. 2021 AAHA Nutrition and Weight Management Guidelines for Dogs and Cats. J Amer An Hosp Assoc 2021;57:153-178
Janke N, Coe JB, Bernardo T, Dewey C, Stone E. An evaluation of shared decision-making between veterinarians and their clients in companion animal practice using the Observer OPTION5 instrument. Vet Record 2021;189;e778
DeGroot A, Coe JB, Kelton D, Miltenburg C, Wichtel J, Duffield T. Factors associated with food‐animal producer visit‐specific satisfaction following on‐farm interaction with a veterinarian. Veterinary Record 2021;188;e15
Coe JB, O'Connor R, MacMartin C, Verbrugghe A, Janke K. Effects of three diet history questions on the amount of information gained from a sample of pet owners in Ontario, Canada. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2020;256;469-478
Coe JB, Rankovic A, Edwards T, Parr J. Dog owners' accuracy measuring different volumes of dry dog food using three different measuring devices. Vet Record 2019;185:599
Stoewen D, Coe JB, MacMartin C, Stone E, Dewey C. Identification of illness uncertainty in veterinary oncology: Implications for service. Front Vet Sci 2019;6:147
Pizzolon C, Coe JB, Shaw J. Evaluation of team effectiveness and personal empathy for associations with professional quality of life and job satisfaction in companion animal practice. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2019;254:1204-1217.
- Flockhart DTT, Coe JB. Multistate matrix population model to assess the contributions and impacts on population abundance of domestic cats in urban areas including owned cats, unowned cats and cats in shelters. PLoS ONE 2018;13(2):e0192139
- MacMartin C, Wheat H, Coe JB, Adams CL. Conversation analysis of veterinarians' proposals for long-term dietary changes in companion animal practice in Ontario, Canada. J Vet Med Edu 2018;45(4):1-20.
- Higginson Cutler J, Coe JB, Niel L. Puppy socialization practices of a sample of dog owners from across Canada and the United States. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2017;251(12):1415-1423.
- Kay A, Coe JB, Pearl D, Young I. A scoping review of published research on the population dynamics and control practices of companion animals. Prev Vet Med 2017;144:40-52.
- Phillips A, Coe JB, Rock M, Adams CL. Feline obesity in veterinary medicine: Insights from a thematic analysis of communication in practice. Front Vet Sci 2017;4:117.
- Lem M, Coe JB, Haley D, Stone EA, O'Grady W. The protective association between pet ownership and depression among street-involved youth: A cross-sectional study. Anthrozoos 2016;29(1):123-136.
- Moore I, Coe JB, Adams CL, Conlon P, Sargeant JM. Exploring the impact of toxic attitudes and a toxic environment on the veterinary healthcare team. Front Vet Sci 2015;2:78
- MacMartin C, Wheat H, Coe JB, Adams CL. Effect of question design on dietary information solicited during veterinarian-client interactions in companion animal practice in Ontario, Canada. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2015;246(11):1203-1214.
- Hecker K, Norris J, Coe JB. Work-place based assessment in a primary-care setting. J Vet Med Ed 2012;39:229-235.
- Kanji N, Coe JB, Adams CL, Shaw JR. Effect of veterinarian-client-patient interactions on client adherence to dentistry and surgery recommendations in companion-animal practice. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2012;240:427-436.
- Dysart LMA, Coe JB, Adams CL. Analysis of solicitation of client concerns in companion animal practice. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2011;238:1609-1615.