- PAHL 3841
Assistant Professor | DVM, MSc, PhD, FHEA, Diplomate ACVM
I am a board-certified veterinary microbiologist with primary interest on the application of diagnostic tools to solve infectious diseases problems. I also have a special interest for veterinary education and I am enthusiastic about contributing with the training of the next generation of animal health professionals.
Surveillance of antimicrobial resistance of bacterial and fungal pathogens
Pathogen discovery in the context of clinical bacteriology, virology and mycology
Novel genomic tools to advance diagnostics of animal infectious diseases
Development of sequencing approaches that can be incorporated into clinical diagnostic workflows
Active research projects in my lab:
- "Genome-wide association study to investigate genetic markers for antimicrobial resistance in respiratory Mycoplasma of dogs and cats"
- Principal Investigator. Funding: OVC Pet Trust and American Kennel Club - Canine Health Foundation
- "Transitioning strain typing of Mycoplasma ovipneumoniae to Next Generation Sequencing to improve epidemiologic tracing of the pathogen in bighorn and domestic sheep"
- Principal Investigator. Funding: Wild Sheep Foundation
- VETM*3450 Principles of Disease in Veterinary Medicine (Virology)
- DVM Phase 4 rotations – Clinical Microbiology
- Special Topics in Bacterial Genomics (graduate course)
Professional Experience & Honours
- Diplomate American College of Veterinary Microbiologists (2020) - Virology
- Diplomate American College of Veterinary Microbiologists (2019) - Bacteriology/Mycology
- Residency in Clinical Microbiology (2020) - University of Georgia (United States)
- PhD (2017) - University of Nottingham (United Kingdom)
- Teaching certification (2015) - Associate fellow, Higher Education Academy (FHEA) (United Kingdom)
- MSc (2013) - Federal University of Santa Maria (Brazil)
- DVM (2012) - Federal University of Santa Maria (Brazil)
• Maboni G; Seguel M; Lorton A; Sanchez S. Antimicrobial resistance patterns of Acinetobacter spp. of animal origin reveal high rate of multidrug resistance. Veterinary Microbiology, 2020.
• Maboni G; Seguel M; Lorton A; Berghaus R; Sanchez S. Canine infectious respiratory disease: new insights into the aetiology and epidemiology of associated pathogens. Plos ONE, 2019.
• Lucca E; Álvarez S; Maboni G; Baptista R; Nemeth N; Niedringhaus K; Ladner J; Lorch J; Koroleva G; Lovett S; Palacios GF. Comparative genomics analyses support the reclassification of Bisgaard taxon 40 as Mergibacter gen. nov., with Mergibacter septicus sp. nov. as type species: novel insights into the phylogeny and virulence factors of a Pasteurellaceae family member associated with mortality events in seabirds. Frontiers in Microbiology, 2021.
• Maboni G; Blanchard AM; Frosth S; Stewart C; Aspan C; Emes R; Tötemeyer S. A distinct bacterial disbiosis associated skin inflammation in ovine footrot. Scientific Reports, 2017.
• Maboni G; Davenport R; Sessford K; Jensen T., Blanchard A; Tötemeyer S. A novel 3D skin explant model to study anaerobic bacterial infection. Frontiers in Cellular and Infection Microbiology, 2017.
• Martins E; Maboni G; Battisti R; da Costa L; Laryce Selva H; Buzzato I; Trevisan L. High rates of multidrug resistant microorganisms associated with small animal otitis: cumulative microbiological culture and antimicrobial susceptibility. Microbial Pathogenesis, 2022.
• Niedringhaus K; Shender L; DiNuovo A; Flewelling LJ; Maboni G; Sanchez S; Deitschel PJ; Fitzgerald J; Nemeth N. Mortality in common (Sterna hirundo) and sandwich terns (Thalasseus sandvicensis) associated with Bisgaard Taxon 40 Infection on Marco Island, Florida, USA. Journal of Comparative Pathology, 2021.
• Blanchard A.M; Billenness R; Warren J; Glanvill A; Roden W; Drinkall E; Maboni G; Robinson R; Rees CE; Pfarrer C; Tötemeyer S. Characterisation of Listeria monocytogenes isolates from cattle using a bovine caruncular epithelial cell model. Heliyon, 2020.
• Seguel S; George N; Maboni G; Sanchez S; Page-Karjian A; Gottdenker NL. Pathologic findings and causes of death in bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops truncatus) stranded along the Georgia Coast, USA (2009–2013). Diseases of Aquatic Microorganisms, 2020.
• Blanchard AM; Jolley K; Maiden M; Coffey T; Maboni G; Staley C; Bollard N; Warry A; Emes R; Davies P; Tötemeyer S. The Applied development of a tiered multilocus sequence typing (MLST) scheme for Dichelobacter nodosus. Frontiers in Microbiology, 2018.
• Batista D; Freitas O; Almeida A; Maboni G; de Carvalho TF; Junior AB. Evaluation of pathogenicity of Salmonella Gallinarum strains harbouring deletions in genes whose orthologues are conserved pseudogenes in S. Pullorum. PloS ONE, 2018.
• Agbaje M; Rutland C; Maboni G; Blanchard A; Bexon M; Stewart C; Totemeyer S. Novel inflammatory cell infiltration scoring system to investigate healthy and footrot affected ovine interdigital skin. PeerJ, 2018.
• Kowalski A; Maboni G; Trevisan L; Espíndola JP; Balzan C; Tasca C; Guizzo JA; Frandoloso R; Vargas AC. Antigenic characterization of Moraxella bovis, Moraxella bovoculi and Moraxella ovis strains with potential use in vaccines. Veterinary Microbiology, 2017.
• Tarlinton R; Alder L; Moreton J; Maboni G; Emes R; Tötemeyer S. RNA expression of TLR10 in normal equine tissues. BMC Research Notes, 2016.
• Maboni G; Frosth S; Aspan A; Totemeyer S. Ovine footrot: new insights into bacterial colonisation. Veterinary Record, 2016.
• Farias L; Maboni G; Matter L; Scherer CC; Libardoni F; Vargas AC. Phylogenetic analysis and genetic diversity of 3` region of rtxA gene from geographically diverse strains of Moraxella bovis, Moraxella bovoculi and Moraxella ovis. Veterinary Microbiology, 2015.
• Maboni G; Gressler LT; Espindola JP; Schwab M; Tasca C; Potter L; Vargas AC. Differences in the antimicrobial susceptibility profiles of Moraxella bovis, M. bovoculi and M. ovis. Brazilian Journal of Microbiology, 2015.
• Kowalski, A; Maboni G; Espindola JP; Foletto A; Bandeira JG; Pötter L; Botton S; Vargas AC. Temporal profile of antimicrobial resistance exhibited by strains of Staphylococcus spp. isolated from cases of bovine mastitis for 20 years (1992-2011). Ciência Rural, 2015.
• Warren J; Owen R; Glanvill A; Francis A; Maboni G; Nova RJ; Wapenaar W; Rees C; Totemeyer S. A new bovine conjunctiva model shows that Listeria monocytogenes invasion is associated with lysozyme resistance. Veterinary Microbiology, 2015.
• Silva, AP; Schmidt C; Vargas AC; Maboni G; Rampelotto C; Schwab M; Escobar TP; Amaral A. Antimicrobial susceptibility of Staphylococcus spp. isolated from canine superficial pyoderma. Pesquisa Veterinária Brasileira, 2014.
• Santurio DF; Matiuzzi M; Maboni G; Cavalheiro C; Pozzo MD; Alves SH. Antimicrobial activity of spice essential oils against Escherichia coli strains isolated from poultry and cattle. Ciencia Rural, 2011.
• Maboni G; Elbert J; Stilwell J; Sanchez S. Genomic and pathology findings of Prototheca cutis infection in cat. Emerging Infectious Diseases, 2021.
• Maboni G; Krimer P; Baptista R; Lorton A; Sanchez S. Laboratory diagnostics, phylogenetic analysis, and clinical outcome of a subcutaneous Mycoleptodiscus indicus infection in an immunocompetent cat. BMC Veterinary Research, 2019.
• Argenta J; Alves S; Silveira F; Maboni G; Pereira D; Spanamberg A. In vitro paradoxical growth of Pythium insidiosum in the presence of caspofungin. Veterinary Microbiology, 2010.
• Argenta J; Alves S; Silveira F; Maboni G; Zanette R; Cavalheiro A; Pereira PL; Pereira D; Sallis E; Santurio J; Ferreira L. In vitro and in vivo susceptibility of two-drug and three-drug combinations of Terbinafine, Itraconazole, Caspofungin, Ibuprofen and Fluvastatin against Pythium insidiosum. Veterinary Microbiology, 2012.
• Bach B; Leal D; Ruchel J; Souza V; Maboni G; Pozzo MD; Schlemmer KB; Alves S; Santurio J. Immunotherapy for pythiosis: Effect on NTPDase activity in lymphocytes of an experimental model. Biomedicine & Pharmacotherapy, 2010.
• Cavalheiro A; Maboni G; Azevedo M; Argenta J; Pereira D; Spader TB; Alves S; Santurio J. In vitro activity of terbinafine combined with caspofungin and azoles against Pythium insidiosum. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, 2009.
• Maboni G; Kelly J; Clancy S; Luca E; Baldwin T; Van Wettere AJ; Kane J; Peterson S; Warr V; Bastian D; Sanchez S. Detection of asinine gammaherpesviruses in association with pulmonary fibrosis in free-ranging donkeys. Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation, 2021.
• Dalton M; Siepker C; Maboni G; Sanchez S; Rissi D. Ocular and lacrimal gland lesions in naturally occurring rabies of domestic and wild mammals. Veterinary Pathology, 2020.
• Kokosinska A; Maboni G; Kelly K; Molesan A; Sanchez S; Saliki J; Rissi D. Necrotizing meningoencephalitis associated with parvoviral infection in cats. Veterinary Pathology, 2019.
• Stimmelmayr R; Rotstein D; Maboni G; Person TB; Sanchez S. Morbillivirus associated lipid pneumonia in arctic foxes (Vulpes lagopus). Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic and Investigation, 2018.