- PAHL 3821
Assistant Professor | DVM, MSc, PhD, Diplomate ACVM
I am a board-certified veterinary microbiologist with primary interest on the application of diagnostic tools to solve animal and human health problems. I also have a special interest for veterinary education and I am enthusiastic about contributing with the training of the next generation of animal health professionals.
- Surveillance of antimicrobial resistance of bacterial and fungal pathogens
- Pathogen discovery in the context of clinical bacteriology, virology and mycology
- Novel genomic tools to advance diagnostics of animal infectious diseases
- Development of sequencing approaches that can be incorporated into clinical diagnostic workflows
- VETM*3450 Principles of Disease in Veterinary Medicine (Virology)
- OVC Phase 4 rotations – Clinical Microbiology
Professional Experience & Honours
- Diplomate American College of Veterinary Microbiologists (2020) - Virology
- Diplomate American College of Veterinary Microbiologists (2019) - Bacteriology/Mycology
- Residency in Clinical Microbiology (2020) - University of Georgia (United States)
- PhD (2017) - University of Nottingham (United Kingdom)
- Teaching certification (2015) - Associate fellow, Higher Education Academy (United Kingdom)
- MSc (2013) - Federal University of Santa Maria (Brazil)
- DVM (2012) - Federal University of Santa Maria (Brazil)
• Martins E; Maboni G; Battisti R; da Costa L; Laryce Selva H; Buzzato I; Trevisan L. High rates of multidrug resistant microorganisms associated with small animal otitis: cumulative microbiological culture and antimicrobial susceptibility. Microbial Pathogenesis, 2022.
• Maboni G; Elbert J; Stilwell J; Sanchez S. Genomic and pathology findings of Prototheca cutis infection in cat. Emerging Infectious Diseases, 2021.
• Maboni G; Kelly J; Clancy S; Luca E; Baldwin T; Van Wettere AJ; Kane J; Peterson S; Warr V; Bastian D; Sanchez S. Detection of asinine gammaherpesviruses in association with pulmonary fibrosis in free-ranging donkeys. Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation, 2021.
• Lucca E; Álvarez S; Maboni G; Baptista R; Nemeth N; Niedringhaus K; Ladner J; Lorch J; Koroleva G; Lovett S; Palacios GF. Comparative genomics analyses support the reclassification of Bisgaard taxon 40 as Mergibacter gen. nov., with Mergibacter septicus sp. nov. as type species: novel insights into the phylogeny and virulence factors of a Pasteurellaceae family member associated with mortality events in seabirds. Frontiers in Microbiology, 2021.
• Niedringhaus K; Shender L; DiNuovo A; Flewelling LJ; Maboni G; Sanchez S; Deitschel PJ; Fitzgerald J; Nemeth N. Mortality in common (Sterna hirundo) and sandwich terns (Thalasseus sandvicensis) associated with Bisgaard Taxon 40 Infection on Marco Island, Florida, USA. Journal of Comparative Pathology, 2021.
• Maboni G; Seguel M; Lorton A; Sanchez S. Antimicrobial resistance patterns of Acinetobacter spp. of animal origin reveal high rate of multidrug resistance. Veterinary Microbiology, 2020.
• Dalton M; Siepker C; Maboni G; Sanchez S; Rissi D. Ocular and lacrimal gland lesions in naturally occurring rabies of domestic and wild mammals. Veterinary Pathology, 2020.
• Blanchard A.M; Billenness R; Warren J; Glanvill A; Roden W; Drinkall E; Maboni G; Robinson R; Rees CE; Pfarrer C; Tötemeyer S. Characterisation of Listeria monocytogenes isolates from cattle using a bovine caruncular epithelial cell model. Heliyon, 2020.
• Seguel S; George N; Maboni G; Sanchez S; Page-Karjian A; Gottdenker NL. Pathologic findings and causes of death in bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops truncatus) stranded along the Georgia Coast, USA (2009–2013). Diseases of Aquatic Microorganisms, 2020.
• Maboni G; Krimer P; Baptista R; Lorton A; Sanchez S. Laboratory diagnostics, phylogenetic analysis, and clinical outcome of a subcutaneous Mycoleptodiscus indicus infection in an immunocompetent cat. BMC Veterinary Research, 2019.
• Maboni G; Seguel M; Lorton A; Berghaus R; Sanchez S. Canine infectious respiratory disease: new insights into the aetiology and epidemiology of associated pathogens. Plos ONE, 2019.
• Kokosinska A; Maboni G; Kelly K; Molesan A; Sanchez S; Saliki J; Rissi D. Necrotizing meningoencephalitis associated with parvoviral infection in cats. Veterinary Pathology, 2019.
• Stimmelmayr R; Rotstein D; Maboni G; Person TB; Sanchez S. Morbillivirus associated lipid pneumonia in arctic foxes (Vulpes lagopus). Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic and Investigation, 2018.
• Blanchard AM; Jolley K; Maiden M; Coffey T; Maboni G; Staley C; Bollard N; Warry A; Emes R; Davies P; Tötemeyer S. The Applied development of a tiered multilocus sequence typing (MLST) scheme for Dichelobacter nodosus. Frontiers in Microbiology, 2018.
• Batista D; Freitas O; Almeida A; Maboni G; de Carvalho TF; Junior AB. Evaluation of pathogenicity of Salmonella Gallinarum strains harbouring deletions in genes whose orthologues are conserved pseudogenes in S. Pullorum. PloS ONE, 2018.
• Agbaje M; Rutland C; Maboni G; Blanchard A; Bexon M; Stewart C; Totemeyer S. Novel inflammatory cell infiltration scoring system to investigate healthy and footrot affected ovine interdigital skin. PeerJ, 2018.
• Maboni G; Blanchard AM; Frosth S; Stewart C; Aspan C; Emes R; Tötemeyer S. A distinct bacterial disbiosis associated skin inflammation in ovine footrot. Scientific Reports, 2017.
• Maboni G; Davenport R; Sessford K; Jensen T., Blanchard A; Tötemeyer S. A novel 3D skin explant model to study anaerobic bacterial infection. Frontiers in Cellular and Infection Microbiology, 2017.
• Kowalski A; Maboni G; Trevisan L; Espíndola JP; Balzan C; Tasca C; Guizzo JA; Frandoloso R; Vargas AC. Antigenic characterization of Moraxella bovis, Moraxella bovoculi and Moraxella ovis strains with potential use in vaccines. Veterinary Microbiology, 2017.
• Tarlinton R; Alder L; Moreton J; Maboni G; Emes R; Tötemeyer S. RNA expression of TLR10 in normal equine tissues. BMC Research Notes, 2016.
• Maboni G; Frosth S; Aspan A; Totemeyer S. Ovine footrot: new insights into bacterial colonisation. Veterinary Record, 2016.
• Farias L; Maboni G; Matter L; Scherer CC; Libardoni F; Vargas AC. Phylogenetic analysis and genetic diversity of 3` region of rtxA gene from geographically diverse strains of Moraxella bovis, Moraxella bovoculi and Moraxella ovis. Veterinary Microbiology, 2015.
• Maboni G; Gressler LT; Espindola JP; Schwab M; Tasca C; Potter L; Vargas AC. Differences in the antimicrobial susceptibility profiles of Moraxella bovis, M. bovoculi and M. ovis. Brazilian Journal of Microbiology, 2015.
• Kowalski, A; Maboni G; Espindola JP; Foletto A; Bandeira JG; Pötter L; Botton S; Vargas AC. Temporal profile of antimicrobial resistance exhibited by strains of Staphylococcus spp. isolated from cases of bovine mastitis for 20 years (1992-2011). Ciência Rural, 2015.
• Warren J; Owen R; Glanvill A; Francis A; Maboni G; Nova RJ; Wapenaar W; Rees C; Totemeyer S. A new bovine conjunctiva model shows that Listeria monocytogenes invasion is associated with lysozyme resistance. Veterinary Microbiology, 2015.
• Silva, AP; Schmidt C; Vargas AC; Maboni G; Rampelotto C; Schwab M; Escobar TP; Amaral A. Antimicrobial susceptibility of Staphylococcus spp. isolated from canine superficial pyoderma. Pesquisa Veterinária Brasileira, 2014.
• Argenta J; Alves S; Silveira F; Maboni G; Zanette R; Cavalheiro A; Pereira PL; Pereira D; Sallis E; Santurio J; Ferreira L. In vitro and in vivo susceptibility of two-drug and three-drug combinations of Terbinafine, Itraconazole, Caspofungin, Ibuprofen and Fluvastatin against Pythium insidiosum. Veterinary Microbiology, 2012.
• Santurio DF; Matiuzzi M; Maboni G; Cavalheiro C; Pozzo MD; Alves SH. Antimicrobial activity of spice essential oils against Escherichia coli strains isolated from poultry and cattle. Ciencia Rural, 2011.
• Argenta J; Alves S; Silveira F; Maboni G; Pereira D; Spanamberg A. In vitro paradoxical growth of Pythium insidiosum in the presence of caspofungin. Veterinary Microbiology, 2010.
• Bach B; Leal D; Ruchel J; Souza V; Maboni G; Pozzo MD; Schlemmer KB; Alves S; Santurio J. Immunotherapy for pythiosis: Effect on NTPDase activity in lymphocytes of an experimental model. Biomedicine & Pharmacotherapy, 2010.
• Cavalheiro A; Maboni G; Azevedo M; Argenta J; Pereira D; Spader TB; Alves S; Santurio J. In vitro activity of terbinafine combined with caspofungin and azoles against Pythium insidiosum. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, 2009.