- PAHL 3801
- PAHL 3820
R. Darren Wood
Associate Professor | DVM UPEI, DVSc Guelph, Diplomate ACVP
I am a veterinary clinical pathologist and have been employed with the Ontario Veterinary College at the University of Guelph since 2002. My main roles include teaching veterinary students, training aspiring graduate students, laboratory diagnosis, and research. My main areas of interest include hemostatic diseases in dogs and cats, and microRNA in canine lymphoma. I am the co-supervisor of the OVC Comparative Hemostasis Laboratory.
Hemostasis/Hematology: canine von Willebrand disease, canine immune mediated hemolytic anemia, characterization of canine protein C, storage lesion in transfusion products, avian hemostasis, microRNA in canine lymphoma, applied hemostasis method validation.
Karlee Craig, DVSc program, microRNA profiling in canine lymphoma
Sara Gardhouse, PhD program (co-advisor), Lipidology of Quaker Parrots
Katy Morrison, DVSc program, In vitro effect of chemotherapy on microRNA expression in canine lymphoma
Gabriella Allegrini, May-August 2018, Retropsective evaluation of the use of thromboelastography in dogs at OVC
VETM*3450 Principles of Disease in Veterinary Medicine (Measurement and Testing, Hematology and Cytology)
Diagnostic Pathology and Laboratory Medicine Rotation (Hematology, Integrated Case Discussions)
Phase II Leader
PABI*6030, 6040, 6041 Applied Clinical Pathology I, II, III
PABI*6300, 6320 Clinical Pathology I, II
PABI*6104 Mechanisms of Disease (Hemostasis and Thrombosis)
- American Society for Veterinary Clinical Pathology (www.asvcp.org)
- American College of Veterinary Pathologists (www.acvp.org)
- American Society of Hematology (www.hematology.org)
- Blois, S., Holowaychuk, M., & Wood, R. (2015). Evaluation of thromboelastography in two factor XII-deficient cats. Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery, 1-4.
- Ho, K. K., Abrams-Ogg, A. C., Wood, R., O'Sullivan, M. L., Kirby, G. M., Shauna L. Blois (2015). Assessment of platelet function in healthy sedated cats using three whole blood platelet function tests. Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation, 27 (3), 352-360.
- Gauthier, V., Holowaychuk, M., Wood, R., Bersenas, A., & Kerr, C. (2014). Effect of synthetic colloid administration on coagulation in dogs with systemic inflammation. J ournal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, 29, 276-285.
- Wong, V. M., Bienzle, D., Hayes, A., Taylor, P., & Wood, R. (2014). Purification of protein C from canine plasma. BMC Veterinary Research, 10, 251.
- Gauthier, V., Holowaychuk, M., Kerr, C., Bersenas, A., & Wood, R. (2014). Effect of synthetic colloid administration on hemodynamic and laboratory variables in healthy dogs and dogs with systemic inflammation. J ournal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care, 24 (3), 251-258.
- Holowaychuk, M. K., Hanel, R. M., Wood, R. D., Rogers, L., & O'Keefe, K. (2014). Prospective multicenter evaluation of coagulation abnormalities in dogs following severe acute trauma. J ournal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care, 24 (1), 93-104.
- Hanel, R. M., Chan, D. L., Conner, B., Gauthier, V., & Holowaychuk, M. (2014). Systematic evaluation of evidence on veterinary viscoelastic testing Part 4: Definitions and data reporting .J ournal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care, 24 (1), 47-56.
- St. Paul, M., Paolucci, S., Barjesteh, N., Wood, R. D., & Sharif, S. (2013). Chicken erythrocytes respond to Toll-like receptor ligands by up-regulating cytokine transcripts. Research in Veterinary Science, 95, 87-91.
- Caines, D., Sinclair, M., Wood, R. D., Valverde, A., & Dyson, D. (2013). Evaluation of cerebrospinal fluid lactate and plasma lactate concentrations in anesthetized dogs with and without intracranial disease. C anadian Journal of Veterinary Research, 77, 297-302.
- Blois, S. L., Banerjee, A., Wood, R. D., & Park, F. M. (2013). Thromboelastograph platelet mapping in healthy dogs using one analyzer versus two analyzers. Canadian Journal of Veterinary Research, 77, 231-236.
- Park, F. M., Blois, S. L., Abrams-Ogg, A., Wood, R. D., & Allen, D. G. (2013). Hypercoagulability and ACTH-dependent hyperadrenocorticism in dogs. J ournal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, 27 (5), 1136-1142.
- St. Paul, M., Paolucci, S., Barjesteh, N., Wood, R. D., & Schat, K. (2012). Characterization of chicken thrombocyte responses to Toll-like receptor ligands. PLoS ONE, 7 (8), e43381.
- Flint, S., Wood, R., Abrams-Ogg, A., Kruth, S., & Bersenas, A. (2012). Comparison of citrated native and kaolinactivated samples for thrombelastographic analysis in healthy dogs. Veterinary Clinical Pathology, 41, 249-255.
- Blois, S., Bannerjee, A., & Wood, R. (2012). Evaluation of thromboelastographic platelet mapping in healthy cats. Veterinary Clinical Pathology, 41, 223-227.
- Tan, E., Bienzle, D., Shewen, P., Kruth, S., & Wood, R. (2012). Potential immune system targets in primary immunemediated hemolytic anemia in the dog. V eterinary Clinical Pathology, 41, 45-55.
Search PubMed for additional publications by Dr. Wood.