- Biomed 2633
Department Chair | Professor | BSc, PhD Western
- Central regulation of autonomic function
- Application of electrophysiological and hemodynamic techniques to investigate the role of central autonomic regulatory nuclei in the control of blood pressure and heart rate
- Investigating the involvement of neurochemicals and neurohormones (ie estrogen) in autonomic nuclei which have been implicated in the central component of the baroreflex in health and disease
- Investigating the role of hormones in functional neuroprotection from neurodegenerative diseases such as stroke (ischemia/reperfusion)
- Bergeron, L., Willcox, J., Alibhai, F., Connell, B., Saleh, T.M., Wilson, B., Summerlee, A. Relaxin-3 protects rats from middle cerebral artery occlusion and cortical astrocytes from oxygen-glucose deprivation. Endocrinology, 156(2):638-646, 2015.
- Monique C. Saleh, Connell, B.J and Saleh T.M. Co-administration of berberine and picrorhiza enhance neuroprotection in a rat model of ischemia/reperfusion. European Journal of Medicinal Plants, 8(3):128-141, 2015.
- Tarek M Saleh, Barry J. Connell, Inan Kucukkaya and Alaa S. Abd-El-Aziz. Increasing the biological stability profile of a new chemical entity, UPEI-104, and potential use as a neuroprotectant against reperfusion-injury. Brain Sciences, 5:130-143, 2015.
- Connell B.J, Saleh, M.C., Gordon, J., and Saleh, T.M., G31P, a selective CTX receptor antagonist, mediates neuroprotection in a rat model of ischemia/reperfusion. Neurosci. Lett., 606:117-122, 2015.
- Barry J. Connell, Monique C Saleh, Inan Kucukkaya, Alaa S. Abd-El-Aziz, Bobby V. Khan and Tarek M Saleh. UPEI-300, a conjugate of lipoic acid and edaravone, mediates neuroprotection in a rat model of ischemia/reperfusion. Neurosci Lett., 561:151-155, 2014.
- Monique C. Saleh, Barry J. Connell, Desikan Rajagopal, Bobby V. Khan, Alaa S. Abd-El-Aziz, Inan Kucukkaya and Tarek M. Saleh. Co-administration of resveratrol and lipoic acid, or their synthetic combination, enhances neuroprotection in a rat model of ischemia/reperfusion. PLoS One. 2014 Jan 31;9(1):e87865. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0087865.
- Perry, B., Zhang, J., Sun, C., Saleh, T., and Wang Y. Liuwei Dihuang, a traditional Chinese herbal formula, suppresses chronic inflammation and oxidative stress in obese rats. Journal of Integrative Medicine. 12(5):447-54, 2014.
- Connell, B.J., Saleh, T.M., Rathbone, M.P., Sayed, N., and Jiang, S. Guanosine protects against reperfusion injury in rat brains after ischemic stroke. J. Neurosci. Res., 91:262-272, 2013.
- Saleh, M.C., Connell, B.J., and Saleh, T.M.. Resveratrol induced neuroprotection is mediated via both estrogen receptor subtypes, ER alpha and ER beta. Neurosci. Lett., 548:217-221, 2013.
- Connell B.J, Saleh, M.C., Khan, B.V., Rajagopal, D., and Saleh, T.M., UPEI-100, a conjugate of lipoic acid and apocynin, mediates neuroprotection in a rat model of ischemia/reperfusion. Am. J. Physiol., (Reg, Int., Comp), 302:R886-R895, 2012.