- OVC 3645
- OVC 3653
Associate Professor | BSc (McMaster), PhD (McMaster)
Citizen of the Métis Nation of Ontario
- Using animal model systems, in vitro and in vivo systems electrophysiology, pharmacology, pharmacogenetics, neurochemistry, behaviour to study the molecular and cellular mechanisms involved in the pathology of neuropsychiatric disorders
- Sex differences is neuropsychiatric disorder risk and symptom manifestation (depression, autism spectrum disorders)
- Brain wave patterns as biomarkers for neuropsychiatric disorder pathology and therapeutic efficacy
- GSK-3 signaling in brain systems function and cognitive disorders (schizophrenia, autism spectrum disorders, Alzheimer's disease)
In our laboratory we use multiple advanced techniques to take an integrative approach to research that involves combining cell and systems research with animal behaviour to help us gain insights into the mechanisms of disease, with a particular focus on neuropsychiatric and neurodegenerative disease. At present our primary research focuses are in depression, autism spectrum disorders, schizophrenia and Alzheimer’s disease, as well as drug discovery. To achieve this we use pharmacological, pharmacogenetic and behavioural techniques combined with electrophysiology and computational algorithms to evaluate how neuronal network communication is impaired is these models, and to determine the cell signaling pathways responsible for the network disruption.
Current Graduate Students
- Albeely AM, Williams OOF, Perreault ML. GSK-3β disrupts neural oscillatory function to inhibit learning and memory in rats. Cellular and Molecular Neurobiology, in press.
- Thériault RK, Manduca JD, Perreault ML. 2020. Sex differences in innate and adaptive neural oscillatory patterns link resilience and susceptibility to chronic stress in rats. J Psychiatry Neurosci, in press (BioRxiv [Preprint]. July 31, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1101/720011).
- Manduca JD, Thériault RK, Williams OOF, Rasmussen D, Perreault ML. 2020. Transient dose-dependent effects of ketamine on neural oscillatory activity in Wistar-Kyoto rats. Neuroscience, 441:161-175.
- Manduca JD, Thériault RK, Perreault ML. 2020. Glycogen synthase kinase-3: The missing link to aberrant circuit function in disorders of cognitive dysfunction? Pharmacological Research, 157:104819.
- Thériault RK, Manduca JD, Blight CR, Khokhar JY, Akhtar TA, Perreault ML. 2020. Acute mitragynine administration suppresses cortical oscillatory power and systems theta coherence in rats. J Psychopharmacol, 34:759-770.
- Hasbi A, Nguyen T, Rahal H, Manduca JD*, Miksys S, Tyndale RF, Madras BM, Perreault ML, George SR. 2020. Sex difference in dopamine D1-D2 receptor complex expression and signaling affects anxiety- and depression-like behaviour. Biol Sex Differences, 11: 8.
- Foute Nelong, Jenkins BW, Perreault ML, Khokhar JY. 2019. Extended attenuation of corticostriatal power and coherence after acute exposure to vapourized Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol in rats. Can J Addiction, 10: 60-66. ƚCo-senior authors.
- Foute Nelong T, Manduca JD, Zonneveld PM, Perreault ML. 2019. Asenapine Maleate normalizes low frequency delta coherence deficits in a neurodevelopmental model of schizophrenia. Neurosci Lett, 711: 134-404.
- Thériault RK and Perreault ML. 2019. Hormonal regulation of circuit function: Sex, systems and depression. Biol Sex Diff, 10:12.
- Albeely AM, Ryan SD, Perreault ML. 2018. Pathogenic Feed-Forward Mechanisms in Alzheimer's and Parkinson's Disease Converge on GSK-3. Brain Plasticity, 4: 151-167.
- Nguyen T, Fan T, George SR, Perreault ML. 2018. Disparate effects of lithium and a GSK-3 inhibitor on neuronal oscillatory activity in prefrontal cortex and hippocampus. Frontiers Aging Neuroscience, 9: 434.