Professor Emeritus/Emerita | DVM, MSc, Diplomate ACVIM
Research emphasis on industry related pharmacokinetics, an example of which is the collaborative development of the oral insulin preparation “Oral-Lyn”.
Dr. Allen is the author/editor of ten textbooks including Small Animal Cardiopulmonary Medicine, Small Animal Medicine and Handbook of Veterinary Drugs and the Merck Veterinary Manual.
- The effects of cyclooxygenase inhibitors on canine coagulation
- Transcutaneous absorption of sodium hyaluronate
- Screening of diabetic dogs and potential for early intervention
- Study of a cream-based formulation for the medicinal use of botulinum toxin
- Study of a novel drug delivery systems
Professional Experience & Honours
Member Editorial Board
- J Compendium Continuing Education
- J American Animal Hospital Association
- J Veterinary and Comparative Orthopaedics and Traumatology Journal
- Canadian Veterinary Journal
- Editorial Board: The Merck Veterinary Manual 10th Edition
- Vet MedCenter.Com. senior editor
Recent Papers published in Refereed Journals
- The effects of aspirin, carprofen, deracoxib, and meloxicam on hemostasis and systemic prostaglandins in healthy dogs. AJVR 2010;71:349–358 (Blois S, Allen DG, Wood RD, Conlon PD)
- Magnetic resonance imaging findings of canine central nervous system inflammatory diseases. Submitted 2005. Duque C, Nykamp S, Parent J, Allen D, Etue S. JACVIM 2005
- Effects of ranitidine, famotidine, pantoprazole, and omeprazole on intragastric pH in dogs AJVR 2005;66:425. (Bersenas AME, Mathews KA,. Allen DG, Conlon PD)
- Effects of doxycycline, amoxicillin, cephalexin and enrofloxacin onhemostasis in normal dogs. Webb JA, Allen DG, Abrams-Ogg A, Gentry PA. Am J Vet Res 2005;67:569
Selected Books Published
- Small Animal Cardiopulmonary Medicine. Allen DG, Kruth SA, eds. BC Decker Inc. 1988.
- Handbook of Veterinary Drugs. Third Edition. Allen DG, Dowling T, Smith D, eds. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. 2004.
- Handbook of Veterinary Drugs. Third Edition. Allen DG, Dowling P, Smith D, eds. Portuguese translation rights to Editora Manole (Sao Paulo, Brazil) 2005
Search PubMed for additional publications by Dr. Allen.