The Ontario Veterinary College (OVC) has joined hands with Hill’s® Pet Nutrition to create a unique experiential learning opportunity for external Canadian veterinary students in the final year of their DVM program. As a Hill’s® Scholar, students from outside OVC's Doctory of Veterinary program, will participate in the Primary Healthcare Rotation at the Hill’s® Pet Nutrition Primary Healthcare Centre (Hill’s® PHC) at the world-class Ontario Veterinary College, University of Guelph.
The rotation is three weeks in length and Hill’s® Pet Nutrition has generously agreed to fund two Hill’s® Scholar candidates ($5,000 CAD each) to compensate for time and travel. This funding will be paid to the Hill’s® Scholar upon successful completion of the rotation.
Take a tour, watch this video to see the Hill’s® Primary Healthcare Centre facility and discover what students do and learn on OVC's Primary Healthcare rotation.
About the Rotation:
As a member of the Hill’s® PHC team during this rotation, students will:
- work in a modern learning-oriented community practice alongside veterinary instructors and other final year veterinary students from OVC;
- be given the opportunity to work up cases, interpret test results from a full suite of in clinic diagnostics, generating differential lists and treatment plans;
- assist in anesthetic and surgical procedures reflective of a general practice case load including spays, neuters, and other surgeries;
- assist in dental radiography and COHATs (comprehensive oral health, assessment and treatment plans);
- gain exposure to digital radiography, ultrasonography and rehabilitation therapy in the full on-site rehabilitation suite;
- be heavily integrated into the entire appointment process, receiving feedback in a supportive and fun environment;
- become familiar with wellness plans and gain the confidence to perform a nutritional assessment and obtain nutritional compliance with clients;
- experience being the lead veterinarian on a team and learn the value of monitoring business metrics.
How to apply:
Applicants must be students enrolled in one of the Doctor of Veterinary Medicine at one of the four other veterinary colleges in Canada (Western College of Veterinary Medicine (WCVM), University of Saskatchewan, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine (UCVM), University of Calgary, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Montreal, Atlantic Veterinary College, University of Prince Edward Island) or a Canadian resident entering the fourth year of an accredited veterinary college.
To apply to the Hill’s® Scholar Program, please submit the following documents to Dr. Joanne Hewson, Associate Dean – Students and Academic firstname.lastname@example.org by May 13, 2019:
- a completed & signed Application Form (Appendix A);
- a letter describing your previous veterinary experience and professional/career interests;
- a letter from the Associate Dean-Academic of your College, showing support for you to attend this rotation.
The successful applicants will be notified by early June. At that time, additional documentation that will be required in order to attend the rotation includes the following:
- proof of a protective rabies titre measured within the past year;
- proof of personal medical insurance coverage;
- a completed & signed Liability Waiver (Appendix B);
- a completed & signed Health Sciences Centre confidentiality form (Appendix C);
- proof of English proficiency (for students not educated in English);
- a digital photo (Passport size/head & shoulders).
Upon receipt of all required documents, we will work with the successful applicants to schedule you into the rotation in consideration of your final year schedule and available space. Please note that there will be a $125.00 (Cdn funds) administrative fee charged only to the successful applicants. Instructions for electronic payment of the required administration fee will be provided once the applicants have been selected for the rotation.
Travel and housing arrangements are the responsibility of the student, although we would be happy to provide housing suggestions in order to facilitate this process if needed.
For more information, please contact: Dr. Joanne Hewson, Associate Dean, Students and Academic at email@example.com
Applications due by:
Monday, May 13, 2019.