- Pop Med Bldg. 212
Coordinator, Master of Public Health Program | Professor | BASc, MBA, PhD, CIPHI(C)
I have experience as a public health professional within a local public health agency, as an executive director with a public health association, and as an educator and administrator with two public health education programs. My research interests centre on population health interventions by exploring and guiding public health policy development, program implementation, practice, and outcome evaluation, all with the purpose of creating a more effective, proactive public health system. I am the current Chair of the Board of Graduate Studies, University of Guelph, as well as the National Collaborating Centre for Environmental Health, and the National Collaborating Centre for Methods and Tools. I am the immediate past chair of the Natural, Physical, and Engineering Science Research Ethics Board, University of Guelph, and the Canadian Network of Schools and Programs of Population and Public Health. I sit on numerous other public health-related committees and boards (see Service to Society for details).
I have a specific interest in the area of environmental public health issues, and public health policy and administration. Further, I have an interest in public health education both within a university and workplace setting, and university student wellness. However, my research interests span across all of public health. Please refer to the Selected Publications section to browse some of my recent research activities. My main research interests include:
- Developing a better understanding of university and youth student wellness with the aim of developing more effective proactive programs
- Exploring post-secondary public health teaching and education to create an innovative learning experience
- Assessing and advising on amending environmental public health practice in Canada
- Researching how public health policy is developed and analyzing the process to advise on improvements
- Applying proven administration processes and techniques to improve public health program development
- Working with priority communities to build an infrastructure to maximize their community health
Prospective Graduate Students should contact me as early as possible to discuss their research and these should align with my research interests noted above. If you would like to work with me, please send an email introducing yourself, your background, and your area(s) of research interest. As well, please attach a copy of your unofficial transcript. Please visit the Department of Population Medicine for further information on applying. The University of Guelph encourages students to find their own funding. I generally supervise students that align with my research focus only.
Prospective Undergraduate Students can contact me at any time via email regarding independent study courses or undergraduate thesis. Ensure that your interest aligns with my research topics. I will continue to supervise undergraduate students completing either a literature review or a full study.
PhD in Population Medicine (Public Health)
Caroline Bravo - Health communication and the HPV DNA test for cervical cancer
Max Carynnyk - Using school-based approaches to reduce UV-related cancer
Brendan Dougherty* - Antimicrobial Stewardship in Canada
Josephine Gaupholm* - (co-advisor with Dr. Matthew Little)
Sydney Gosselin - Indoor tanning risk communication and policy.
Steven Lam* - Impact of climate change on food safety (co-advisor with Dr. Sherilee Harper)
Konrad Lisnyj* - Impact of stress on post-secondary acadeic performance
Melissa MacKay* - Effective use of social media in public health
Zoë Martos* - Knowledge translation and climate change in northern Indigenous populations
Matthew Pike - Relationship between natural resource development and community well-being in Nunatsiavut
Aarabhi Rajendiran* - Developmental evaluation with a coalition of community agencies
Jocelyn Rivers* - Understanding network integration for better health outcomes
Erin Rodenburg* - Social inclusion of adults with developmental disabilities
Abhinand Thaivalappil* - Cannabis and mental health
PhD in Population Medicine (Epidemiology)
None at this time
MSc in Population Medicine (Public Health) by Thesis
Aria Keshoofy* - Student Mental Health
David Obande - TBA
MSc in Population Medicine (Epidemiology) by Thesis
Lulu Gao - Environmental factors influencing maternal health
Sarah Gower* - Supporting pregnancy after stillbirth
MSc in Population Medicine (Public Health) by Course Work
Laurel Jarvis* - Evaluating the Take-a-Paws Program
MSc in Population Medicine (Epidemiology) by Course Work
None at this time
All MPH students
Click here to view the MPH Student Profiles
MSc in Food Science (Food Safety and Quality Assurance)
None at this time
Former Graduate Students
PhD in Population Medicine (Epidemiology)
- Dr. Jessica Reimann (2019) - Indoor Tanning and Youth – Compliance, Inspection, and Enforcement of Legislation
- Dr. Stephanie Hughes* (2018) - Augmenting surveillance to minimize the burden of norovirus-like illness in Ontario: using telehealth data to detect the onset of community activity
- Dr. Lauren (Wallar) Grant* (2016) - Supporting capacity building in public health: Measuring values using best-worst scaling
- Dr. Wendy Pons* (2016) – Managing the threats to small drinking water systems in Ontario: A risk-based approach
- Dr. Mai Pham (2015) – Advancing the use of knowledge synthesis to inform policy and decision-making in agri-food public health
MSc in Population Medicine (Epidemiology)
- Andrea Cimino (2020) - Shade provision at outdoor parks and playgrounds
Abhinand Thaivalappil* (2019) - Older consumers’ safe food handling in the domestic setting
- Sydney Gosselin (2019) - Health policy and risk communication for indoor tanning in Canada
- Manpreet Saini* (Co-advisor with Dr. Sherilee Harper) (2017) - Participatory methods for Inuit public health promotion and program evaluation in Nunatsiavut, Canada
- Adam Beswick (2016) - #Outbreak: An exploration of Twitter metadata as a means to supplement influenza surveillance in Canada During the 2013-2014 Influenza Season
- Kyle Runeckles (2016) - Factors associated with HIV among First Nation persons living off reserves, Métis, and Inuit persons
- Adele Carty* (2015) - Child health in the province of Ontario: Establishing baselines for reproductive health and vaccine preventable diseases
- M. Ellen McDonald* (Co-advisor with Dr. Sherliee Harper) (2015) - The burden of acute gastrointestinal illness, and knowledge translation in Inuit communities
CWMSc in Population Medicine (Epidemiology)
- Xinyi Xu (2020) - Forecasting Human Rabies Mortality in China Using Time Series Analysis and Machine Learning
- Jocelyn White* (2019) - Identifying modifiable factors that have the largest impact on sense of belonging to a southwestern Ontario university community
- Justin Wurtzel* (2019) - Investigating factors that impact sense of community and the association with mental health status at a southwestern Ontario university: A cross-sectional study
- Rafael Barros* (2019) - The effect of food handler training certification on food safety outcomes at food service and retail in Ontario, Canada
- Erin Rodenburg* (2018) - Determining current and future training needs of Ontario workers supporting persons with developmental disabilities
- Melanie Dupuis* (2017) - Evaluating demographic, behavioural, social, and attitudinal factors associated with self-harm thoughts in grade seven and ten students living in southwestern Ontario
- Christine Friesen* (2015) - Using principal component analysis to identify priority neighbourhoods for health services delivery by ranking socioeconomic status
- Elena Galatsis* (2015) - Evaluating family structure, peer influence, academic achievement and self-esteem as risk or protective factors associated with the onset of sexual intercourse in grade 10 students of Wellington County, Dufferin County and the City of Guelph
- Eric Jeong* (2015) - Estimation and spatial distribution of alcohol-attributable hospitalizations in the Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Health Region
- Kristyn Franklin* (2011) - Stool submission data to help inform population-level incidence rates of enteric disease in a Canadian community
MSc in Food Science (Food Safety and Quality Assurance)
- Jana Gorveatt* (2018) - Assessment of the Canadian Armed Forces food safety and defence program
- Kamilah Vassell* (2017) - Factors influencing the knowledge, attitudes, and behaviours of Peel Public Health certified food handlers
- Tangi Burke* (2015) - Assessing food safety knowledge and preferred information sources among 19–29 year olds
- Adrienne Andrew* (2015) - Food safety knowledge retention among previously certified food handlers in Ontario, Canada
- Shain Mergulhao* (2014) - A balanced approach: Enhancing the role of enforcement in food safety through a case study
I currently teach the following courses. Public Health Policy and Systems and Public Health Administration are both required courses within the Master of Public Health program. Applied Public Health Research is an elective course:
Public Health Policy and Systems (POPM*6550)
Public Health Administration (POPM*6580)
Applied Public Health Research (POPM*6600)
Professional Experience & Honours
- Former Director, School of Occupational and Public Health, Ryerson University
- Former Executive Director, Association of Local Public Health Agencies (Ontario)
- Certified Public Health Inspector
Service to Society
At the University of Guelph
- Centre for Public Health and Zoonoses Steering Committee member
- Coordinator, Master of Public Health Program
- Department of Population Medicine Graduate Committee member
- University of Guelph Senate member
- University of Guelph Board of Graduate Studies (Chair)
Outside of the University of Guelph
- Canadian Network of Schools and Programs of Public and Population Health (Past Chair)
- Ecological Determinants of Health Steering Committee member, and Co-chair of the Curriculum and Core Competency Development Subcommittee
- Environmental Health Review (Editor-in-Chief)
- National Collaborating Centre for Environmental Health Advisory Board (Chair)
- National Collaborating Centre for Methods and Tools Advisory Board (Chair)
- School of Occupational and Public Health, Ryerson University Program Advisory Committee member
Jessica Reimann, Jennifer E. McWhirter, Andrea Cimino, Andrew Papadopoulos, and Cate Dewey (2019). Impact of legislation on youth indoor tanning behaviour: A systematic review. Preventive Medicine, 123 (June 2019), 299-307.
*Stephanie Hughes, Roger Morbey, Alex Elliot, Scott A. McEwen, Amy Greer, Ian Young, and Andrew Papadopoulos (2018). Monitoring telehealth vomiting calls as a potential public health early warning system for seasonal norovirus activity in Ontario, Canada. Epidemiology and Infection, 147 (e112), 1-7.
*Steven Lam, Warren Dodd, Kelly Skinner, Andrew Papadopoulos, Chloe Zivot, James Ford, P.J. Garcia, IHACC Research Team and Sherilee Harper (2018). Community-based monitoring of Indigenous food security in a changing climate: Global trends and future research directions. Environmental Research Letters, 14 (7).
Manpreet Saini, Steven Roche, Nicole Markwick, Andrew Papadopoulos, Inez Shiwak, Charlie Flowers, Michele Wood, Victoria Edge, James Ford, Rigolet Inuit Community Government, Nunatsiavut Government, IHACC Research Team, and Sherilee Harper (2019). Promoting Inuit Health Through a Participatory Whiteboard Video. Canadian Journal of Public Health.
Wendy Briggs, Anne Wilcock, and Andrew Papadopoulos, (2018). Sous Vide Cooking in Restaurants: A Qualitative Study of Ontario Public Health Inspector Knowledge, Experience, Practices and Needs. Food Protection Trends, 39 (1), 51-61.
Melanie Dupuis, David Pearl, and Andrew Papadopoulos (2018). Evaluating Factors Associated with Thoughts About Self-harm in Grade Seven and Ten Students Living in Canada. Mental Health & Prevention, 13 (2019), 50-57.
Lauren Wallar, Scott A. McEwen, Jan Sargeant, Nicola Mercer, and Andrew Papadopoulos (2018). Prioritizing professional competencies in environmental public health: A best-worst scaling experiment. Environmental Health Review, 61 (2), 50-63, doi: 10.5864/d2018-014.
Jessica Reimann, Jennifer McWhirter, Andrew Papadopoulos, and Cate Dewey. (2018). A systematic review of compliance with indoor tanning legislation. BMC Public Health, 2018 (18), 1096.
Adrienne Andrew, Ian Young, and Andrew Papadopoulos. (2017). Food safety knowledge retention among previously certified food handlers in Ontario, Canada. Food Protection Trends, 37 (4), 256-268.
Lauren Wallar, Scott A. McEwen, Jan Sargeant, Nicola Mercer, and Andrew Papadopoulos. (2017). Building data and information capacity in environmental public health: A best-worst scaling experiment. Journal of Public Health Management and Practice.
Wendy Pons, Ian Young, I., Andria Jones-Bitton, Scott McEwen, Katarina Pintar, and Andrew Papadopoulos. (2016). Exploring the relationship between small non-community drinking water characteristics and water system performance in Ontario, Canada. Journal of Water and Health.
Mai Pham, Lisa Waddell, Andrijana Rajic, Jan Sargeant, Andrew Papadopoulos, Scott A. McEwen (2016). Implications of applying methodological shortcuts to expedite systematic reviews: three case studies of systematic reviews from agri-food public health. Research Synthesis Methods., doi: 10.1002/jrsm.1215.
- Wendy Pons, Ian Young, Andria Jones-Bitton, Scott A. McEwen, Katarina Pintar, and Andrew Papadopoulos (2016). Exploring the relationship between small non-community drinking water characteristics and water system performance in Ontario, Canada. Journal of Water and Health.
- Tricia Corrin, and Andrew Papadopoulos (2016). Understanding the attitudes and perceptions of vegetarian and plant-based diets to shape future health promotion programs. Appetite.
- M. Ellen McDonald, Andrew Papadopoulos, Victoria Edge, James Ford IHACC Research Team, Alison Sumner, and Sherilee L. Harper (2016). What do we know about health-related knowledge translation in the Circumpolar North? Results from a scoping review. International Journal of Circumpolar Health, 75 (31223).
- Tangi Burke, Ian Young, and Andrew Papadopoulos (2016). Assessing food safety knowledge and preferred information sources among 19-29 year olds. Food Control, 69 (2016), 83-89, doi: 10.1016/j.foodcont.2016.04.019.
- Lauren Wallar, Scott A. McEwen, Jan Sargeant, Nicola Mercer, Sarah Garland and Andrew Papadopoulos (2016). Development of a tiered framework for public health capacity in Canada. Public Health, 136, 192-195.
- Wendy Pons, Ian Young, Jenifer Truong, Andria Jones-Bitton, Scott A. McEwen, Katarina Pintar, Andrew Papadopoulos. A systematic review of waterborne disease outbreaks associated with small non-community drinking water systems in Canada and the United States. PLoS ONE, 10 (10).
- Ian Young, Lisa Waddell, Shannon Harding, Judy Greig, and Andrew Papadopoulos. A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis of the Effectiveness of Food Safety Education Interventions for Consumers in Developed Countries. BMC Public Health 15:822.
- Bhairavi Sivaralingham, Ian Young, Mai Pham, Lisa Wadell, Judy Grieg, Mariola Mascarenhas, and Andrew Papadopoulos. Scoping Review of Research on the Effectiveness of Food-Safety Education Interventions Directed at Consumers. Foodborne Pathogens and Disease. Volume 12, Number 7. 2015.
- Lauren Wallar and Andrew Papadopoulos. Collaboration, Competencies and the Classroom: A Public Health Approach. The Canadian Journal for the Scholarship if Teaching and Learning. Volume 6, Issue 1, Article 6. 2014.
- Mai Pham, Andrijana Rajic, Judy Grieg, Jan Sargean, Andrew Papadopoulos, and Scott A. McEwen. A scoping review of scoping reviews: advancing the approach and enhancing the consistency. Research Synthesis Methods. June 24, 2014.
- Taylor McLinden, Jan Sargeant, M. Kate Thomas, Andrew Papadopoulos, and Aamir Fazil. Component costs of foodborne illness: a scoping review. BMC Public Health, 14 (509), 1-12. 2014.
- Wendy Pons, Scott A. McEwen, Katarina Pintar, Andria Jones-Bitton, Ian Young and Andrew Papadopoulos. Experience, training and confidence among small non-community drinking water system operators in Ontario, Canada. Journal of Water and Health Vol 12 No 4 pp 782–790. 2014
- Taylor McLinden, Jan Sargeant, M. Kate Thomas, Andrew Papadopoulos, and Aamir Fazil. The association between component costs, study methodologies, and foodborne illness-related factors with the cost of non-thyphodial Salmonella illness. Foodborne Pathogens and Disease. Volume 11, Number 9. 2014.
- Nicole Britten, Lauren Wallar, Scott McEwen, and Andrew Papadopoulos. Using core competencies to build an evaluative framework: outcome assessment of the University of Guelph Master of Public Health program. BMC Medical Education, 2014 (14), 158.
- Andrew Papadopoulos, Nicole Britten, Meghan Hatcher and Keira Rainville. Using Business Plan Development as a Capstone Project for MPH Programs in Canada: Validation through the student perspective. Journal of Community Health. Volume 38, Number 5. 2013.
- Andrew Papadopoulos, Jan M. Sargeant, Shannon E. Majowicz, Byron Sheldrick, Carolyn McKeen, Jeff Wilson, and Catherine E. Dewey. Enhancing Public Trust in the Food Safety Regulatory System. Health Policy. Volume 107, Issue 1, 98-103, September 2012.
Search PubMed for additional publications by Dr. Papadopoulos.