- Pop Med Bldg. 213
Research Scientist | Associated Graduate Faculty | Adjunct Faculty - Population Medicine, Ontario Veterinary College
I am interested in the epidemiology of foodborne pathogens and the prevention of infectious disease in animal populations using epidemiological and microbiological methods. My overarching research goal is to explore the relationship between microbial agents, environmental factors, and immune response in swine. This will in particular include the investigation of molecular characteristics of bacterial population (Ex. Streptococcus suis and Salmonella), as well as the study of gut microbiome and its impact on bacterial infection in pigs. My research also focuses on development and optimization of infection model for different bacteria (Ex. ETEC, Salmonella, and Streptococcus suis), and evaluation of various interventions such as vaccines and probiotics to prevent bacterial infections in swine.
- Saranya Nair (PhD)
- Karen De Bruyn (MSc)
- Leann Denich (MSc)
- Kaushalya Kuruppu Arachchillage (MSc)
- Corinne Schut (MSc)
- Elana Raaphorst (MSc)
- Jeremy Wong (MSc)
- Sarah Hill (MSc)
- Margaret Ainslie (MSc)
- Victoria Seip (MSc)
- Ainslie-Garcia MH, Farzan A, Newman JE, Friendship RM, Lillie BN. Longitudinal Salmonella fecal shedding in pigs from birth to market and its association with the presence of Salmonella in palatine tonsils and submandibular lymph nodes at slaughter. Can J Vet Res. 2018; 82(4):249-255.
- Emily A, Farzan A, Slavic D, MacInnes JI, Friendship RM. An epidemiological study of Streptococcus suis serotypes of pigs in Ontario determined by a multiplex PCR. Can Vet J. 2018;59(9):997-1000.
- Nair, N.; Farzan, A.; O’Sullivan, T.; Friendship, R. Salmonella shedding and seropositivity and its association with in-feed flavophospholipol in nursery pigs. Can. Vet. J. 2018; In press.
- Hopkins, D.; Poljak, Z.; Farzan, A.; Friendship, R. Field studies evaluating the direct, indirect, total, and overall efficacy of Streptococcus suis autogenous vaccine in nursery pigs. Can Vet J. 2018; In press.
- Hopkins, D.; Poljak, Z.; Farzan, A.; Friendship, R. Factors contributing to mortality during a Streptoccocus suis outbreak in nursery pigs. Can. Vet. J. 2018; 59(6):623-630.
- Ainslie-Garcia MH, Farzan A, Jafarikia M, Lillie BN. Single nucleotide variants in innate immune genes associated with Salmonella shedding and colonization in swine on commercial farms. Vet Microbiol. 2018; 219:171-177.
- Saranya N, Farzan A, O’Sullivan TL, Friendship RM.Time course of Salmonella shedding and antibody response in naturally-infected pigs during grower-finisher stage. Can J Vet Res. 2018; 82(2):139-145.
- Saranya N, Farzan A, O’Sullivan TL, Friendship RM. A clinical trial investigating the impact of in-feed flavophospholipol on Salmonella shedding and antimicrobial resistance in pigs. Can Vet J. 2018; 59(1):59-65.
- Yin F, Farzan A, Wang QC, Yu H, Yin Y, Hou Y, Friendship R, Gong J. Reduction of Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium DT104 infection in experimentally challenged weaned pigs fed a lactobacillus-fermented feed. Foodborne Pathog. Dis. 2014;11(8):628-34.
- Slifierz MJ, Friendship R, de Lange CF, Slavic D, Grgic H, Farzan A. Immunomodulatory factors and infectious agents associated with the hepatic gene expression of the IGF system in nursery pigs. Animal. 2014;8(5):844-51.
- Chan G, Farzan A, Soltes G, Nicholson V, Pei Y, Friendship R, Prescott F. The epidemiology of Clostridium perfringens on Ontario swine farms. BMC Vet Res. 2012, 4;8:156.
- Slifierz MJ, Friendship R, de Lange CF, Rudar M, Farzan A. An epidemiological investigation into the association between biomarkers and growth performance in nursery pigs. BMC Vet Res. 2013;9:247
- Farzan A, Kircanski J, DeLay J, Soltes G, Friendship R, Prescott J. An investigation into the association between cpb2-encoding C. perfringens type A and diarrhea in neonatal piglets. Can. J. Vet. Res. 2013, 77:45-51.
- Farzan A, Parrington L, Coklin T, Cook A, Pintar K, Pollari F, Friendship R, Farber J, Dixon B. Detection and characterization of Giardia duodenalis and Cryptosporidium spp. on swine farms in Ontario, Canada. Foodborne Pathog. Dis. 2011, 8: 1207-13.
- Farzan A, Friendship R, Cook A, Pollari F. Occurrence of Salmonella, Campylobacter, Yersinia enterocolitica, Escherchia coli O157, and Listeria monocytogenes in swine. Zoonoses and Public Health, 2010, 57: 388–396.
- Farzan A, Friendship R, Dewey C, Poppe C, Funk J. Evaluation of the risk factors for shedding Salmonella with or without antimicrobial resistance in swine using multinomial regression method. Zoonoses and Public Health, 2010;57 Suppl 1:85-93.
- Farzan A & Friendship R. Evaluation of the efficacy of vaccination in controlling Salmonella infection and the association of Salmonella-shedding and weight gain in pigs. Can J Vet Res., 2010;74(4):258-63.
Search PubMed for additional publications by Dr. Farzan.