- PAHL 4825
- PAHL 4806
Professor | BSc, MSc, PhD Guelph
Governor General's Innovation Award Recipient
| 2017 Winners | Guelph Mercury Tribune Article | The Governor General's Innovation Awards - Bonnie Mallard |
Genetic regulation of the immune system and implications to disease resistance. Particular emphasis is given to preventive methods to improve disease resistance of livestock, such as genetic selection of livestock for enhanced immune responsiveness. Other areas of interest include xenotransplantation and peripartum immune responses.
Professor Mallard is also the inventor of the High Immune Response Technology and the Immunity+ Technology that has been licensed to Canada's largest dairy genetics company, the Semex Alliance. These technologies are used to identify and select animals with naturally optimized immune responses.
2016 Dairy Strong Conference: Dr. Mallard Presentation: Benefits of Immunity+ Exceed Expectations
Current Graduate Students
Undergrad: MICRO*3230 (Immunology I), MICRO*4230 (Immunology II)
Graduate: PABA*6190 (Topics in Immunology)
- Crispi KA, Sargolzaei M, Ventura R, Abo-Ismail M, Miglior F, Schenkel F, Mallard BA. A genome-wide association study of immune response traits in Canadian Holstein cattle. Thompson-BMC Genomics. 2014 Jul 4;15:559.
- Paibomesai M, Hussey B, Nino-Soto M, Mallard BA.Effects of parturition and dexamethasone on DNA methylation patterns of IFN-γ and IL-4 promoters in CD4+ T-lymphocytes of Holstein dairy cows. Can J Vet Res. 2013 Jan;77(1):54-62.
- Heriazon A, Quinton M, Miglior F, Leslie KE, Sears W, Mallard BA. Phenotypic and genetic parameters of antibody and delayed-type hypersensitivity responses of lactating Holstein cows. Vet Immunol Immunopathol. 2013 Aug 15;154(3-4):83-92.
- Thompson-Crispi KA, Miglior F, Mallard BA. Genetic parameters for natural antibodies and associations with specific antibody and mastitis in Canadian Holsteins. J Dairy Sci. 2013 Jun;96(6):3965-72.
- Hine BC, Cartwright SL, Mallard BA. Analysis of leukocyte populations in Canadian Holsteins classified as high or low immune responders for antibody- or cell-mediated immune response. Can J Vet Res. 2012 Apr;76(2):149-56.
- Begley N, Buckley F, Burnside EB, Schaeffer L, Pierce K, Mallard BA. Immune responses of Holstein and Norwegian Red x Holstein calves on Canadian dairy farms. J Dairy Sci. 92(2):518-25, 2009.
- Heriazon A, Yager JA, Sears W, Mallard BA. Induction of delayed-type hypersensitivity and interferon-gamma to Candida albicans and anti-hen-egg white lysozyme antibody as phenotypic markers of enhanced bovine immune response.Vet Immunol Immunopathol. 129(1-2):93-100, 2009.
- D Wilson, BA Mallard, JL Burton, Y Schukken, Y Grohn. Milk and serum J5-antibody responses, milk production changes and clinical effects following intrammary E. coli challenge for J5 vaccinate and control cows. Clin. Vacc. Immunol.16(2):209-17, 2009.
- H Atalla, C Gyles, C Jacob, H Moisan, F Malouin, and BA Mallard. Characterization of a S. aureus Small Colony Varient (SCV) associated with bovine mastitis. Foodborne Pathogens and Disease 5(6):1-15, 2008.
- M Nino-Soto, A Hernandez, M Quinton, F Miglior, K Thompson and BA Mallard. Differential Gene Expression of High and Low Immune Responder Canadian Holstein Dairy Cows. Developments in Biology 132:315, 2008.
Search PubMed for additional publications by Dr. Mallard.