You are here

Working in Canada

As a non-Canadian DVM student you are able to work in Canada under several conditions:


Working On Campus

Non-Canadian full-time students can work on campus during their studies. There are over 4,000 student jobs on the University of Guelph campus. These jobs are available on a competitive basis, so you will need to apply early in the semester.

If you are interested in working on campus please visit the Career Services web page to start your search and find out more information: Career Services


Work Study Opportunities

Full-time students demonstrating financial need can become enrolled in the University of Guelph Work Study Program. You can make up to $1,000 Canadian dollars per semester working on campus. Please check out the Work Study Program web page for more information: Work Study Program


Working Off Campus/Summer Employment

Full-time international students are allowed to work off campus. Students have to wait until the 3rd month of their second semester to be eligible to apply for the off campus work permit. More information about this can be found at the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website here.

Please speak with the international student advisor about obtaining a work permit after you have read through the above information.

Yassin Sagnia | Acting International Student Advisor
Student Life | University of Guelph 
UC, Level 3 South | 50 Stone Road E | Guelph, ON | N1G 2W1 
519-824-4120 Ext. 58686 | 


Employment in Canada After University

Non-Canadian DVM students who have graduated and obtained licensing are eligible to work in Canada for up to two years after graduation.

Please contact the international student advisor (info above) for more information if you are considering working in Canada following graduation.