You are here

Frequently Asked Questions

Below is some information we hope you find useful. Please feel free to contact our International Peer Helper Danielle Herbert (OVC 2024) with any questions or concerns.

Can I get married in Canada?

Yes, you can get married through a civil ceremony (at City Hall) or a religious ceremony (at a place of worship). If you marry a Canadian resident, you must still apply for permanent resident status, but the marriage will expedite the application process to about eight months compared to 18-24 months.

Can my spouse or significant other come to Canada with me during my schooling?

Yes, please browse the International Students Handbook for more information.

Where can I find childcare while I attend school?

The University of Guelph offers childcare programs. Please browse the International Students Handbook under the section 'Your Family' for more information.

Can I bring my pets to Canada with me?

Yes, as long as your pets meet federal standards and regulations. Please visit the Canadian Food Inspection Agency website on importing pets for specific details: Importing Pets Website

What items can I not move into Canada?

Please review the Canadian Food Inspection Agency website for details on what food, animals and plants you can and cannot move into Canada: Canadian Food Inspection Agency Website

Do I need to submit Canadian income taxes?

It is in your best interest to submit Canadian income taxes each year you are studying in Canada, since it may mean that you receive money! For more information please go to the income taxes section of the Non-Canadian Students: Expenses and Financial Assistance page. Income tax clinics will be organized at OVC by the Manager, Student Affairs in March or April to assist you in filling in and filing the forms.

When are the Canadian National holidays?

Visit the Canadian Public Holidays web page for a complete listing.

What is the weather like in Canada?

The weather in Canada is variable depending on the time of the year. Please browse the International Students Handbook under the section 'Life in Guelph' for more information.

What is Canadian culture like?

Canada is an incredibly accepting and diverse multi-cultural nation and are world renown for their polite and friendly nature. To find out more about Canadian culture please browse the International Students Handbook.

You may experience a bit of "culture shock" when living in a new country. Things will likely be quite different from your home country and it is perfectly normal to feel a bit overwhelmed.

What countries am I accredited to work in following my DVM training?

The Ontario Veterinary College is accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA), the Canadian Veterinary Medical Association (CVMA) and the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (RCVS) of the United Kingdom. Graduates of the DVM program at OVC are eligible to be licensed in these countries.

For information about licensing to practice veterinary medicine in your home country, you should contact your national, state or provincial regulating body. For further information on licensure in the US, see the AVMA web site at In Canada, read about the National Examining Board and contact the licensing body in the province you intend on working in. A listing is found here.