Clinical Studies News Bulletin
Monday, October 15, 2018
WELCOME TO OUR LOCUMS:
- Dr Satoko Nishimura will be in Cardiology October 1-26.
- Dr John Baird will be in Large Animal Medicine October 9-19
- Dr Kristina Kiefer will be in Small Animal Surgery October 29-November 11.
1. Our next DEPARTMENTAL FACULTY MEETING is scheduled to be held
Friday, November 9, 2018 at 8:30-9:30 am in Room 2106 ANCC Bldg 49, CS Lounge. Please forward any agenda items to Carolyn Kerr or Linda Wing, and confirm your attendance by responding to the calendar invitation when it arrives.
2. SEARCH COMMITTEES UPDATES - Ongoing Searches
- Diagnostic Imaging Tenure Track Assistant or Associate Professor – in process
- Small Animal Surgery 3 yr CL Assistant Professor – in process
- Medical Oncology Tenure Track Assistant or Associate Professor – in process
- Radiation Oncology 3 yr CL Assistant Professor – posted, open for applications
- Cardiology Tenure Track Assistant or Associate Professor – Dr Shari Raheb will be interviewing on November 15 & 16, 2018 – schedule will follow
3. GRAND ROUNDS! This week’s seminar on Wednesday, October 17, 2018 will be held at 8:30 – 9:30 am in Rm 1713 LLC. Presenting this week:
Title: “Unusual vestibular patient”
Title: “When a PDA is…Not”
Advisors: Dr Lynne O’Sullivan and Dr Sonja Fonfara
4. GRAD COURSE OFFERINGS FOR S19 are now being accepted by Course Scheduling. A Course outline with the Course Offering Request Form are due in Linda Wing’s office by November 7, 2018.
5. ASSISTANCE FOR FACULTY WHEN COMPLETING YOUR EXPENSE CLAIMS AND COMPLICATED POs OVC Shared Administrative Services is launching the promised support for completing travel claims (ECS) and complex purchase orders.
Effective Tuesday, October 9, 2018, Tarun Dhingra will be located Room 2129 to support faculty, graduate students and staff in the preparation of travel claims and complex purchase orders every Tuesday afternoons from 1-4 and Friday mornings 9-12.
To reserve a time to work with him, please send an eRequest, selecting "Expense Claim" from the drop down, with the time and date you would like to meet with him in the comment box, making sure you indicate a time when they will be in your department. To prepare for the meeting, please login to the Expense Claim system and start a claim before coming to see him. This will ensure that you have an active ECS account.
We will use this ticket for communication right up until you receive your refund. If you have any questions simply reply to that original ticket and everything will be linked.
Link to eRequest: https://uoguelph.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_4GHoIa5fYvfnaTz
As mentioned in the OVC bulletin, we will be providing this service as a trial over the next 3 semesters (F18, W19 and S19).
Please feel free to provide feedback by sending an email to OVCSAS@uoguelph.ca about the success or any changes you think may improve the service.
UPCOMING DEADLINES, EVENTS & SEMINARS
6. UNITED WAY 2018
- Upcoming Events notices are posted on the University of Guelph United Way website. Check in often as new events are constantly being added.
- Week 5 Update
- Fundscrip: Everyone buys gas, groceries, presents for friends, and more. Purchasing Gift Cards helps United Way. Check the link! Our group code is 6VJZM2.
Contact Linda Wing if you have any questions.
- Registration for College Idol 2018 – accepting talent & table registrations
- United Way Pledge Forms Return your pledge sheet to Linda Wing ASAP (with or without a pledge) to be entered in the draws! University incentive draws will take place each Wednesday during October.
- Update for Clinical Studies & OVC
Clinical Studies & College Events
Ontario Veterinary College
7. Wellness@Work Update The start of the school year is officially here and there is an exciting buzz all around campus! Curious what Wellness@Work has been up to this summer? Check out a recent update on how U of G is taking a positive focus forward since receiving the Wellness@Work survey results and recommendations.
There are a number of opportunities throughout September to help you stay on track:
- Healthy Workplace Month Calendar for October
8. Associate Vice-President (Academic) Presentation Dr Cate Dewey has been short-listed for the position of Associate Vice-President (Academic). Her presentation is scheduled on Wednesday, October 17, 2018 from 8:30 am – 9:30 am in Room 120 MacKinnon Bldg. The public presentation and question session for Dr Dewey will be pod cast and made available on the Decanal & Other Academic Searches website at http://www.uoguelph.ca/vpacademic/decanalsearch/. The committee invites written comments as part of this search; these should be directed to Charlotte Yates, Provost & Vice-President (Academic) – Chair, either by regular mail or email to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 1, 2018. Your comments will be dealt with in strict confidence.
Speaker: Dr. Azim Surani
Title: From Genomic Imprinting to the Human Germline
Date: Wednesday October 24, 2018
Time: 10:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Location: OVC Pathobiology (PAHL) 1800
Open to the Public | Free Admission
10. Campbell Centre for the Study of Animal Welfare Topic: Targeting problems in laboratory mouse welfare and biomedical animal model validity
Jamie Ahloy Dallaire, Université Laval
Thursday, October 25th, 12:30-1:25 pm
Room 1800, Pathobiology/AHL
Followed by a Meet and Greet in Room 1707c, OVC Lifetime Learning Centre
11. Recycling Project for the Royal Winter Fair COA alumnus Christine De Vuono is building a sculpture of plastic for the University of Guelph exhibit at the Royal Agricultural Winter Fair in November. The sculpture will represent the vast array of plastics impacting the environment and we will be highlighting alternative products being developed at the U of G and initiatives to protect our natural environment.
HOW CAN YOU HELP?
Over the next week, collect items for the sculpture.
Christine is looking for single use plastics. That can mean anything from water and drink bottles to yogurt cups, single use drink cups like coffe, McFlurries or ice caps, straws, plastic forks, spoons, zip lock bags, etc. She has to clean everything so items that have been rinsed are preferred at least for the first few feet of sculpture, dirtier items can be added to the top, but will still have to do a certain amount of cleaning.
A drop box has been set up in Rm 2128 ANCC Bldg, (middle alcove on the right hand side).
For questions, to get more involved or for pick-up of plastic donations contact:
Christine De Vuono at 226-821-1219 or email@example.com.
12. Save the Dates: Graduate Student Research Presentations are scheduled on December 11 & 13, 2018. Details will follow.
13. Call for Nominations – University Awards 2019 The Senate Honours and Awards Committee invites nominations for the University awards and honours, to be awarded at Convocation ceremonies in 2019. Full details are available at https://www.uoguelph.ca/secretariat/office-services/senate/university-awards-and-honours/nominations/call-nominations-university-awards. Nominations may be submitted in confidence to the University Secretariat at firstname.lastname@example.org by January 15, 2019.
Corrections to the CS Bulletin will be posted to this website.
Send news and updates to email@example.com by Friday @ noon. Thanks!