Dr. Ryan Appleby graduated from the Ontario Veterinary College and completed a rotating internship at the OVC HSC. Following a rotating internship he completed a one year Diagnostic Imaging internship at the Veterinary Imaging Center of San Diego. Ryan then went on to complete a residency in Diagnostic Imaging at NC State University. His residency research focused on contrast enhanced ultrasound and shear wave elastography of chronic kidney disease in cats. Ryan is presently an Assistant Professor of Diagnostic Imaging in the Department of Clinical Studies, Ontario Veterinary College.
Dr. Appleby’s primary research interest is the role of artificial intelligence and its applications in veterinary diagnostic imaging. Clinical research on the role of ultrasound and particularly ultrasound elastography in diagnosing a variety of disorders in dogs and cats as well as oncologic imaging are secondary research interests explored in Dr. Appleby’s lab.
Current Graduate Students
- Pablo Espinosa Mur - DVSc
- Kevin Mitchel - DVSc
- Oren Ofer - DVSc
- Nicole Norena - MSc
1. Veterinary Vertex Podcast - https://www.buzzsprout.com/2047448/11587593
2. Vet Sessions Podcast - AI and Diagnostic Imaging in Vet Med with Dr. Ryan Appleby - Vet Sessions | Podcast on Spotify
3. Veterinary Project Podcast - The Veterinary Project Podcast: Dr. Ryan Appleby: So Vet Med Needs to Change?!? on Apple Podcasts
4. Veterinary Project podcast - The Veterinary Project Podcast: The Promise and the Danger of AI on Apple Podcasts
Ryan is interested in the use of novel technologies in teaching veterinary diagnostic imaging. This includes the creation of microlearning videos for topics acrossi the imaging curriculum. Many of these videos are hosted for viewing by veterinarians in practice on his teaching website: obivet.com
Professional Experience & Honours
1. June 2014 - July 2015 Intern, Ontario Veterinary College
2. July 2015 - July 2016 Diagnostic Imaging Intern, Veterinary Imaging Center of San Diego
3. July 2016 – July 2019 Diagnostic Imaging Resident, NC State University, Raleigh, NC
4. July 2019 - Present Assistant Professor – Tenure Track, Diagnostic Imaging, Department of Clinical Studies, Ontario Veterinary College, University of Guelph e. Honors: 2021 Gryphon’s LAAIR Grand Prize (OBI Veterinary Education wins $10,000 top prize at Gryphon’s LAAIR pitch competition | Research Innovation (uoguelph.ca))
1. Guest Editor - VRU Special Issue on Aritifical Intelligence - https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/toc/17408261/2022/63/S1
2. Tahghighi, P., Appleby, R. B., Norena, N., Ukwatta, E., & Komeili, A. (2023). Machine learning can appropriately classify the collimation of ventrodorsal and dorsoventral thoracic radiographic images of dogs and cats, American Journal of Veterinary Research (published online ahead of print 2023). Retrieved Jun 2, 2023, from https://doi.org/10.2460/ajvr.23.03.0062
3. Appleby RB, Vaden SL, Monteith G, Seiler GS. Shear wave elastography evaluation of cats with chronic kidney disease. Vet Radiol Ultrasound. 2023 Mar;64(2):330-336. doi: 10.1111/vru.13184. Epub 2022 Nov 2. PMID: 36324225.
4. Farmer, Rebecca, Poirier, Valerie, Nykamp, Stephanie, Jensen, Monica, Foster, Robert, Oblak, Michelle & Appleby, Ryan. (2022, August). CT features of subcutaneous, intermuscular, and intramuscular mast cell tumors in dogs. Veterinary Radiology and Ultrasound. Retrieved from https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/vru.13150
5. Faye-Fierman, S, Gardhouse, S, McCready, J, Appleby, R & Hocker, S. (2022, June). Clinical presentation and treatment of lymphoma in companion rats (Rattus norvegicus; 2008–2020). Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association. Retrieved from https://avmajournals.avma.org/view/journals/javma/aop/javma.22.01.0026/javma.22.01.0026.xml
6. Mitchell, K, Appleby, R, Singh, A & Sinclair, M. (2022, April). The Effect of Laparoscopy on Intracranial Pressure as Measured by Optic Nerve Sheath Diameter: A Review. Canadian Veterinary Journal, 63(4), 416-421. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8922386
7. Appleby, R & Basran, P. (2022, March). Artificial intelligence in veterinary medicine. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, 260(8). Retrieved from https://avmajournals.avma.org/view/journals/javma/260/8/javma.22.03.0093.xml
8. Basran, P & Appleby, R. (2022, March). The unmet potential of artificial intelligence in veterinary medicine. American Journal of Veterinary Research, 83(5).
9. McKee, H & Basem Gohar, Ryan Appleby, Behdin Nowrouzi-Kia, Briana N M Hagen, Andria Jones-Bitton. (2021, October). Higher psychosocial work demands, decreased well-being, and perceived well-being needs in veterinary academia during the COVID- 19 pandemic. Frontiers in Veterinary Science. Retrieved from http://https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fvets.2021.746716/full?&utm_source=Email_to_authors_&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=T1_11.5e1_author&utm_campaign=Email_publication&field=&journalName=Frontiers_in_Veterinary_Science&id=746716
10. McCready, J, Beaufrere, H, Gardhouse, S & Appleby, R. (2021, July). Mortality of birds following intravenous iodinated contrast media administration for computed tomography. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, 259(1). Retrieved from https://avmajournals.avma.org/doi/full/10.2460/javma.259.1.77
11. Appleby, R, Royal, K & Evola, M. (2020, August). Impostor Phenomenon in Veterinary Medicine. Education in the Health Professions, 3(3), 105-109. Retrieved from https://www.ehpjournal.com/temp/EducHealthProf33105-6934315_191543.pdf