Clinical Studies News Bulletin
Monday, July 15, 2019
WELCOME TO OUR LOCUMS AND VISITORS:
- Dr. John Schlipf will be working in Large Animal Medicine July 08 – July 19
- Dr. Peter Trevor will be working in Small Animal Surgery July 15 – July 28
- Dr. Sarah Shaw will be working in Large Animal Medicine July 29 – August 02
1. Sharita Carter is on vacation July 15 – July 19, 2019.
2. CALL FOR DEPARTMENT MEMBER ON THE T&P COLLEGE COMMITTEE – See attached – We are in need of a Department of Clinical Studies Faculty Member to be on the College Committee. Please consider being nominated.
3. GRADUATE STUDENT WELCOME at The Bullring, August 6, 2019 at 6:30 pm. All Clinical Studies faculty, staff, grad students, residents with their families. An invite has been sent out via Punchbowl, please RSVP there.
4. SEARCH COMMITTEES UPDATES:
- Emergency Critical Care Medicine - 2 yr CL Assistant Professor – in progress
- Large Animal Surgery - Assistant or Associate Professor – in progress
- Large Animal Internal Medicine – 3 yr CL Assistant or Associate Professor – in progress
The current Collective Agreement between the University of Guelph Faculty Association and the University of Guelph requires that all members of faculty search committees receive orientation to address potential unconscious (or implicit) bias in the faculty search process. To Begin the Orientation - please visit Minimizing Implicit Bias in the Search Process
5. EXPENSE CLAIMS NOTICE
- The student who completes expense claims will be located in room 2155 (office sharing with Michelle Beaudoin-Kimble)
- Meal per diem information:
- Per diem maximums are listed in the UoG Travel policy.
- A department may implement a more restrictive or lower per diem than University rates based on what they feel is appropriate for the event or for their budget.
- Per diem can be claimed once the trip is complete, not prior to the event.
- The dates and breakdown of the per diem claimed must be specified. For example: June 1st dinner $35 only - breakfast provided at hotel; lunch provided at conference, June 2 and 3 full day (No meals provided.) $60 X 2 = $120. Claiming $155 total. An XL spreadsheet can be attached for longer trips.
- Per diem require supporting documentation for the dates of the event/per diem claimed - eg. conference program.
- Claimants should be "out of pocket" for the per diem amounts claimed.
- Meals with additional participants must still be coded to the applicable hospitality code, not "meals per diem" or "meals with receipts" and as always name provided.
For additional detail, the UoG Travel policy can be found on the ECS Home page or the link below:
6. T&P 2019 PROCESS UPDATE: All faculty are encouraged to review the T&P process documents for submission deadlines.
All Tenure Track faculty and CL faculty must have their CV completed and confirmed by August 15, 2019.
7. 7th Annual McMaster Conference on Education & Cognition We are pleased to announce that early-bird registration is now open for the 7th annual McMaster Conference on Education & Cognition #EdCog2019 which takes place July 18-19, 2019 at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.
8. 2019 Annual NAVRMA Conference:
September 08th – 11th, 2019 – Queen’s Landing Hotel, Niagara-on-the-lake, Ontario
Registration now open at NAVRMA.org – see attachment for details.
9. Dean Jeffrey Wichtel and Dr. Adronie Verbrugghe invite you to a:
Gift Announcement – A New Position, Clinical Nutrition Technician
Drop by for refreshments and meet Shoshana Verton-Shaw (RVT, VTS-Nutrition) & the OVC Clinical Nutrition Team Tuesday, July 30, 2019 from 2:00pm – 4:00pm, OVC Lifetime Learning Centre Cafeteria.
10. The Senate Honours and Awards Committee invites a diversity of nominations for Honorary Degrees, the highest honour bestowed within the power of the University. Nominations are due by Tuesday, September 3, 2019. Details on the call for nominations, including the award guidelines, criteria and the nomination form can be found on the University Secretariat website at https://www.uoguelph.ca/secretariat/menu/senate/university-awards-and-honours/honorary-degrees .
Please direct any inquires about the competition to firstname.lastname@example.org
11. We're excited to invite you to attend the WSAVA Wellness and Welfare Workshop, to take place July 20 & 21, after the WSAVA/CVMA Conference in Toronto. This workshop will be presented by internationally recognized veterinary experts and offers tremendous value! The program details are here.
July 20: Dr. Sheilah Robertson will speak on Anesthesia and Analgesia. Topics include: pain assessment, pediatric anesthesia and analgesia, and euthanasia considerations.
July 21: Dr. Melinda Merck will speak on Veterinary Forensics. Topics include: identifying signs of cruelty, the veterinarian's role in presenting forensic evidence and articulating suffering in legal cases.
VENUE: Metro Toronto Convention Centre
TIMES: Each day will run from 9am-4:30pm and includes breakfast and lunch.
COST: One day only - OSMA members $60, non-members $75. Both days - OSMA members $105, non-members $135.
Click this link to register. Spaces are limited! The event has been made possible by the WSAVA Global Veterinary Community, the Toronto Humane Society and the Ontario Shelter Medicine Association.
Corrections to the CS Bulletin will be posted to this website.
Send news and updates to email@example.com by Friday @ noon. Thanks!