Clinical Studies News Bulletin
Monday, April 22, 2019
WELCOME TO OUR LOCUMS AND VISITORS:
Ø Dr Soren Boysen will be working in Emergency Critical Care April 22 – May 3
Ø Dr Benoit Cuq will be working in Small Animal Medicine April 22 – 28
Ø Dr Serene Lai will be working in Neurology April 29 – May 5
Ø Dr Heidi Phillips will be working in Small Animal Surgery April 29 – May 12
Ø Dr Nicola Cribb will be working in Large Animal Surgery April 29 - May 5
1. DEPARTMENT FACULTY MEETING Our next Department Faculty Meeting is scheduled in Room 2106, CS Lounge, on May 17, 2019. Please confirm your availability by responding to your calendar invitation.
2. CHOCOLATE BAR REWARDS PROGRAM is back in effect!
We need your graduate students’ progress reports for
Fall 2018 (<50% submission to date). Bring in your form & get your chocolate fix - Carolyn & Tom
3. ANNUAL CAMPUS ELECTRICAL SHUTDOWN Physical Resources will conduct their annual campus electrical shutdown April 27 & 28, 2019. The shutdown will run 7:00 am – 7:00 pm each day.
4. GRAND ROUNDS! This week’s seminar on Wednesday, April 24, 2019 will be held at 8:30 – 11:00 am in OVCM 2661. NOTE NEW LOCATION
CORRECTION TO NAMES OF PRESENTERS:
Presenting this week: Afrah Ahmed Title: TBA, Ann Ram Title: TBA, Julia Luca Title: TBA & Tyler O’Brien Title: "Gut health in a feline shelter population"
5. PARKING PASSES – Payroll Deduction Renewal Process Please see attached poster regarding payroll deduction parking pass renewal process for May 2019 - April 2020. No action required if you would like to renew payroll deduction.
NOTE: If you DO NOT wish to renew your payroll deduction, please email email@example.com no later than April 22, 2019.
6. ERA FORMS Reminder for Tenure-Track and Tenured Faculty ERA forms are due in the Chair’s Office by May 6, 2019.
7. SEARCH COMMITTEES UPDATES:
- Large Animal Internal Medicine – Assistant or Associate Professor
- upcoming candidate interview: Dr Modest Vengust on May 2 & 3, 2019 details to follow
- Candidate Evaluation Forms: Dr Alexa Burton, Dr Joy Tomlinson, Dr Diego Gomez, Dr Modest Vengust Please forward your comments to the Chair’s office by May 6, 2019.
- Nutrition – 1 yr CL Assistant Professor – in progress
- Emergency Critical Care Medicine - 2 yr CL Assistant Professor – in progress
- Large Animal Surgery - Assistant or Associate Professor – in progress
The current Collective Agreement between the University of Guelph Faculty Association and the University of Guelph requires that all members of faculty search committees receive orientation to address potential unconscious (or implicit) bias in the faculty search process. To Begin the Orientation - please visit Minimizing Implicit Bias in the Search Process
8. T&P 2019 PROCESS UPDATE: All faculty are encouraged to review the T&P process documents for submission deadlines.
a.To Assistant Tenure Track Professors: Please review the following details.
Applications for Tenure and or Promotion must be made in writing to the dean through the Chair by May 15, 2019. Applications will include the name and full contact information for six acceptable arm's length external assessors. All support information, including complete eCV is to be 'confirmed' by the Faculty Member in Sedona by June 8, 2019.
b. All Tenure Track Professors must have their eCV completed and confirmed by August 15, 2019.
9. NEW to UoG!!! Spring Community BBQ All faculty and staff are invited to the Community BBQ to celebrate the end of the 2018/19 academic year.
- Thursday, April 25, 2019
- 11:30 am - 2:30 pm
- Gryphon Fieldhouse
Take an opportunity to relax and connect with colleagues on your lunch hour over a delicious meal and fun activities. Please see attached invitation and RSVP online at uoguel.ph/communitybbq2019. For additional information, please contact Morgan Marini at ext. 52510 or firstname.lastname@example.org
10. Annual Campus Electrical Shutdown will take place over 2 days this year: April 27 & 28, 2019. Full details are posted through the OVC Bulletin link. http://bulletin.ovc.uoguelph.ca/post/183547007150/please-note-annual-campus-electrical-shutdown
11. Call for Nominations: 2019’s President’s Awards for Exemplary Staff are due May 1, 2019. Details are on their website. https://www.uoguelph.ca/wellnessatwork/news/2019/03/call-nominations-president%E2%80%99s-awards-exemplary-staff-service
12. SUMMER STUDENTS WELCOME Our summer students will be arriving soon. A Meet & Greet is scheduled for May 6, 2019 at 9:00am in CS Lounge 2106.
13. University Fiscal Year End April 30, 2019 – Expense Claims Year end is fast approaching! Expense claims (hard copies with receipts) must be APPROVED AND RECEIVED in ECS by May 1st before 4:30 pm. We strongly recommend submitting claims now to avoid missing this deadline due to unforeseen delays obtaining documentation or signatures.
During April/May, processing times may be extended. You can monitor the status of claims at any time by logging in to your ECS account. As always, when the expense form and documentation are complete, this ensures a timely reimbursement.
14. Registration for the 12th annual Institute for Comparative Cancer Investigation Symposium is now open! This annual symposium highlights the spectrum of cancer research taking place at the University of Guelph and other nearby universities; from cancer biology, to clinical and translational studies.
15. Please find attached an invitation to attend the 25-Year Club reception on May 1 to recognize the contributions of employees celebrating 25-years of service to the University of Guelph in 2019. All staff with 25-years of service, or more, are invited to join the university leadership team to welcome the newest members to this club. Please RSVP by April 23rd at https://uoguelph.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_8okI6Ef4ETo4ecB
17. Chemical Hazardous Waste Disposal Amnesty Program 2019 - April 29-May 10, 2019.
Take advantage of the annual chemical hazardous waste amnesty program to dispose of any unneeded chemicals in your lab. What you need to do:
- Obtain amnesty 2019 stickers available at EHS, Alexander Hall room 162
- Place compatible chemical hazardous waste in a labeled container and call ext. 54270 to schedule a pick-up time. No yellow tags or disposal requests forms are required.
A chemical Waste Management Information session will be on April 25, 2019, 10-11:30 AM Alexander Hall room 168. Please register on the EHS training registration system. Registration for a session can be done through the EHS registration system.
Final Oral Presentation for the Degree of Master of Science
by Julia Luca
on April 24, 2019 at 8:30 am in CS Lounge 2106
Thesis Title: “Electrode Scalp Impedance Differences between
Electroencephalography Machines in Dogs”.
Advisory Committee: Drs. Fiona James, Luis Gaitero and Andrea Sanchez-Lazaro.
Final Oral Presentation for the Degree of Master of Science
of Kristen Lamers
On April 26, 2019 at 1:30 pm in CS Lounge 2106
Thesis Title: “Intraarticular xenogeneic mesenchymal stem cell-based
Therapy increases CD4+CD25+ cells in the synovial fluid but does not
Contribute to pathological change.”
Examination Committee: Dr Luis Arroyo (Chair), Dr Mark Hurtig, Dr Niel Karrow, Dr Byram Bridle
Advisory Committee: Dr Mark Hurtig (Advisor), Dr Monica Baquero, Dr Niel Karrow
Final Oral Presentation for the
degree of Doctor of Veterinary Science
by Dr Monica Jensen
on April 29, 2019 at 10:00 am in CS Lounge, Room 2106
Thesis title: "Evaluating the knowledge, attitudes, and behaviours
toward radiation safety in the veterinary field and the potential
impact of the veterinary curriculum on modifying current practices"
Advisory Committee: Drs Joanne Hewson, Heather Chalmers, Ameet Singh, Andria Jones-Bitton
Examination Committee: Drs Joanne Hewson, Heather Chalmers, Alex zur Linden
External Examiner: Dr Monique Mayer, Western College of Veterinary Medicine,
Department of Small Animal Clinical Sciences, University of Saskatchewan
20. Call for Proposals: University of Guelph Field Schools 2020. This is a call for proposals for three to six-week courses to be offered in locations outside Canada. Courses will run in Summer 2020 (May/June preferably) and may be an internationalized offering of an existing course or a new course with international content. Deadline: May 17, 2019. Click here for more details.
21. Tobacco and Smoke Free Campus Following a process of extensive research, community consultation and collaboration, our Guelph campus will become tobacco and smoke free on World No Tobacco Day, May 31, 2019. Over the coming weeks, signs will be installed around campus. An event is planned on campus to mark this important change. Together, we are creating a healthier campus for everyone. Answers to questions are available on the FAQ section of the Smoke-Free Campus Website. Further questions can be sent to email@example.com.
22. The Senate Honours and Awards Committee invites a diversity of nominations for Honorary Degrees, the highest honour bestowed within the power of the University. Nominations are due by Tuesday, September 3, 2019. Details on the call for nominations, including the award guidelines, criteria and the nomination form can be found on the University Secretariat website at https://www.uoguelph.ca/secretariat/menu/senate/university-awards-and-honours/honorary-degrees .
23. 7th Annual McMaster Conference on Education & Cognition We are pleased to announce that early-bird registration is now open for the 7th annual McMaster Conference on Education & Cognition #EdCog2019 which takes place July 18-19, 2019 at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.
Corrections to the CS Bulletin will be posted to this website.
Send news and updates to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday @ noon. Thanks!