- Biomed 1646F
- OVC 1671A
Associate Professor | BSc, MSc, PhD Queen's
The primary focus of our research program is to elucidate and compare the mechanisms involved in the regulation of expression of genes that are important in cholinergic neuron function and Alzheimer Disease.
Specifically, we are investigating nerve growth factor signal transduction pathways and the role of nitric oxide in the regulation of expression of cholinergic genes, amyloid precursor protein, tau, low density lipoprotein receptor-related protein and apolipoprotein E. The effects of oxidative stress on the regulation of expression of these genes is also being investigated.
- Strachan-Whaley, M.R., Reilly, K., Dobson, J. and Kalisch B.E. (2015) MAP kinase and PKC signaling pathways modulate NGF-mediated apoE transcription. Neurosci. Lett. 595: 54-59.
- Mitchnick, K.A. Creighton, S., O'Hara, M., Kalisch, B.E. and Winters B.D. (2015) Differential contributions of de novo and maintenance DNA methyltransferases to object memory processing in the rat hippocampus and perirhinal cortex: A double dissociation. Eur. J. Neurosci. 41: 773-786.
- Cragg, C.L. and Kalisch, B.E. (2014) Nerve growth factor enhances tau isoform expression and transcription in IMR32 cells. Neuroscience and Medicine 5: 119-130 (special neurotrophin issue)
- Grana, T.R., LaMarre, J. and Kalisch, B.E. (2013) Nerve growth factor-mediated regulation of low density lipoprotein receptor-related protein promoter activation. Cell Mol Neurobiol. 33:269-82. doi: 10.1007/s10571-012-9894-3.
- Winick-Ng, W., Leri, F. and Kalisch, B.E. (2012) Nitric oxide and histone deacetylases modulate cocaine-induced mu-opioid receptor levels in PC12 cells. BMC Pharmacol Toxicol. 13:11. doi: 10.1186/2050-6511-13-11.
- MacKinnon, J.C., Huether, P. and Kalisch, B.E. (2012) Effects of nerve growth factor and nitric oxide synthase inhibitors on amyloid precursor protein mRNA levels and protein stability. Open Biochem. J. 6: 31-9 doi: 10.2174/1874091X01206010031.
- Kalisch, B.E., Baskey, J.C. and Rylett, R.J. (2012) The relationship between choline acetyltransferase and nitric oxide synthase isoform expression in Alzheimer’s disease. J. Alzheimers Dis. 2:105. doi:10.4172/2161-0460.1000105
- Cragg, C.L., MacKinnon, J.C. and Kalisch, B.E. (2012) Nitric oxide synthase inhibitors modulate nerve-growth-factor mediated activation of Akt. ISRN Cell Biology, vol. 2012, Article ID 847974, doi:10.5402/2012/847974.
- Binnington, J.C. and Kalisch, B.E. (2007) Nitric oxide synthase inhibitors modulate nerve growth factor-mediated regulation of amyloid precursor protein expression in PC12 cells. J. Neurochem. 101: 422-433.