Areas of Interest
- Veterinary virology
- Molecular pathogenesis of avian virus infections
- Development of recombinant viral vaccines for poultry
- Diagnostic tests for viral diseases of animals
- Bryan Griffin, BSc (University of Guelph); PhD program, ongoing
- Li Deng, DVM, MSc (Northwest A & F University, Yangling, China); PhD program, ongoing
- James Ackford, BSc (University of Guelph); MSc program, ongoing
Research project students
- Patrick Slaine
- Gabriela Lichtblau
Research and Professional Staff
Yanlong Pei, BSc, MSc (Harbin Normal University, China), PhD (University of Chinese Academy of Science, Beijing, China); Research Associate
Robert Kozak, BSc, PhD (McGill University); Postdoctoral Fellow
Betty-Anne McBey, Dipl. Animal Health Technology (Vanier College Montreal), BSc, MSc (University of Guelph); Research Technician
David Leishman, BSc (University of Manitoba), MSc (University of Guelph); Research Technician
Juan Huang, College of Animal Science and Veterinary Medicine, Qingdao Agricultural University, Qingdao, China
DVM and undergraduate curriculum
- VETM*3450 Principles of Disease in Veterinary Medicine – Virology Unit;course co-ordinator
- Phase 4 DVM: Diagnostic Pathology and Laboratory Medicine – Clinical Microbiology
- MCB*4500 Research Projects (1) in Molecular and Cellular Biology
- MCB*4510 Research Projects (2) in Molecular and Cellular Biology
- PABI*6330 Viral Diseases
- PABI*6960 Special Topics in Pathobiology
- MCB*6330 Molecular Biology of Viruses
Honours and Professional Experiences
- Editor of the Canadian Journal of Veterinary Research
- Member of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences (Budapest, Hungary)
- Grgić, H., Krell, P.J and Nagy, É. 2014. Comparison of fiber gene sequences of inclusion body hepatitis (IBH) and non-IBH strains of serotype 8 and 11 fowl adenoviruses. Virus Genes, 48:74-80 (E-pub, October 20, 2013). DOI: 10.1007/s11262-013-0995-y
- Rebelo, A.R., Carman, S., Shapiro, J., van Dreumel, T., Hazlett, M. and Nagy, É. 2014. Equid herpesvirus 9 isolates from zebras - Ontario Canada, 1989-2007. Canadian Journal of Veterinary Research, In press.
- Barjesteh, N., Behboudi, S., Billanueva, A.I., Nagy, É. and Sharif, S. 2014. TLR ligands induce antiviral responses in chicken macrophages. PLoS ONE. August 28, 2014, DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0105713.
- Delnatte, P., Nagy, É., Ojkic, D., Leishman, D., Crawshaw, G., Elias, K. and Smith, D.A. 2014. Seroprevalence and prevalence of cloacal shedding of avian bornavirus in free-ranging waterfowl. Journal of Wildlife Diseases, 2014 Jul;50(3):512-523. doi: 10.7589/2013-08-218. Epub 2014 Apr 29.
- Diaz-Mendez, A., Hewson, J., Shewen, P., Nagy, É. and Viel, L. 2014. Characteristics of respiratory tract disease in horses inoculated with equine rhinitis A virus. American Journal of Veterinary Research, 75(2):169-78. doi: 10.2460/ajvr.75.2.169.
- Grgić, H., Poljak, Z., Sharif, S. and Nagy, É. 2013. Pathogenicity and cytokine gene expression patterns of a serotype 4 fowl adenovirus isolate. PloS ONE 8(10): e77601. Doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0077601
- Deng, L., Sharif, S. and Nagy, É. 2013. Oral inoculation of chickens with a candidate fowl adenovirus 9 vector. Clinical and Vaccine Immunology, 20(8):1189-1196. (E-pub, June 5, 2013). DOI:10.1128/CVI.00187-13
- Sunohara-Neilson, J.R., Brash, M., Carman, S., Nagy, É. and Turner, P.V. 2013. Experimental infection of New Zealand white rabbits (Oryctolagus cuniculi) with Leporid herpesvirus-4. Comparative Medicine, 63(5):422-431.
- Grgic, H., Sharif, S, Haghihghi, H.R. and Nagy, É. 2013. Cytokine patterns associated with a serotype 8 fowl adenovirus infection. Viral Immunology, 26(2):143–149. DOI:10.1089/vim.2012.0078 (E-pub 2013 Mar 28). Highlighted article (“important article selected by Editor-in-chief David Woodland”)
- Diaz-Mendez, A., Shewen, P., Viel, L. and Nagy, É. 2013. Genomic analysis of a Canadian equine rhinitis A virus reveals low diversity among field isolates. Virus Genes, 46(2):280-286. doi: 10.1007/s11262-012-0848-0. Epub 2012 Nov 24.
- Pasman, Y., Nagy, É. and Kaushik, A.K. 2012. Enhanced bovine herpes virus type 1 neutralization by multimerized scFvs regardless of differential glycosylation. Clinical and Vaccine Immunology, 19(8):1150-1157. [Epub 2012 June 13.]
- St. Paul, M., Mallick, A.I., Read, L.R., Villanueva, A.I., Parvizi, P., Abdul-Careem, M.F., Nagy, É. and Sharif, S. 2012. Prophylactic treatment with Toll-like receptor ligands enhances host immunity to avian influenza virus in chickens. Vaccine, 30:4524-4531. [Epub 2012 Apr 22.]
- Corredor, J.C. and Nagy, É. 2011. Antibody response and virus shedding of chickens inoculated with left end deleted fowl adenovirus 9-based recombinant viruses. Avian Diseases, 55(3):443-446.
- Griffin, B.D. and Nagy, É. 2011. Coding potential and transcript analysis of fowl adenovirus 4: insight into uORFs as common sequence features in adenoviral transcripts. Journal of General Virology, 92:1260-1272.Doi 10.1099/vir.0.030064-0
- Grgic, H., Yang, D-H. and Nagy, É. 2011. Pathogenicity and complete genome sequence of a fowl adenovirus serotype 8 isolate. Virus Research, 156:91-97. Doi:10.1016/j.virusres.2011.01.002
- Corredor, J.C. and Nagy, É. 2010. The non-essential left end region of the fowl adenovirus 9 genome is suitable for foreign gene insertion/replacement. Virus Research, 149:167-174.
- Velarde, R., Calvin, S., Ojkic, D., Barker, I.K., and Nagy, É. 2010.
- Corredor, J.C. and Nagy, É. 2010. A region at the left end of the fowl adenovirus 9 genome that is non-essential in vitro has consequences in vivo. Journal of General Virology,
- Abrahamyan, A., Nagy, É. and Golovan, S. P. 2009. Human H1 promoter expressed short hairpin RNAs (shRNA) suppress avian influenza virus replication in chicken CH-SAH and canine MDCK cells.Antiviral Research, 84:159-167.
- Romanova, N., Corredor, J.C. and Nagy, É. 2009. Detection and quantitation of fowl adenovirus genome by a real-time PCR assay.Journal of Virological Methods, 159:58-63.
Search PubMed for additional publications by Dr. Nagy.