If you're looking for work on campus check out the Work Study Job Postings listed on the University's Student Financial Services site.
As a student veterinarian it's never too early to explore career opportunities. In first and second year the Veterinary Experience Program (VEP) gives you access to clinicians through volunteering, which may lead to summer or part-time employment.
The links below provide access to postings for clinical and other career opportunities in Canada and beyond:
- AVMA Veterinary Career Centre has employment opportunities as well as great career search tips.
- The University of Guelph has its own Co-operative Education & Career Services website which includes information on upcoming career fairs, and a link to Recruit Guelph - a website that makes job searching easy by organizing jobs according to degree program. In addition, you can store your resume and cover letter on line and apply with the press of a button. Resumes and cover letters can be modified at any time.
- OVMA Classifieds and the CVMA/CVJ Classifieds are an up to date listing of jobs for both veterinarians and students.
- Follow this link to find a listing of all the Canadian Provincial Veterinary Medical Organizations.
- Locum positions and advice can be found at Canada Locum.
- The Vet Recruiter and the Veterinary Career Network are examples of commercial veterinary job posting sites located in the US. There is also VetCor and Banfield who own many clinics and hire veterinarians. In Canada there is VetStrategy and Associate Veterinary Clinics.
- Jobs in the government sector can be found on the CFIA website, the Ontario Public Service website, and the Federal Job Bank website.
- DVM students will also receive an email early in the Winter semester regarding summer jobs available in OVC. Other positions will be posted on this page.
- Positions available for DVM students graduating from the DVM program will be posted on this page as they come through the Student Affairs Office.
Want to beef up your resume? Be sure to check out the resources for resumes and cover letters on the University of Guelph Co-operative Education and Career Services.
Employers Seeking DVMs
- Ready for that perfect graduating veterinarian?
- Looking for a student veterinarian for the summer or for part-time employment?
- Do you have a veterinary education or training opportunity to promote?
Send the advertisement via e-mail to the Student Affairs Office at email@example.com Place "job posting" in the subject line and include the posting either in the body of the message or as a Word, PDF or Corel WordPerfect attachment. Postings will posted on this page and on our online Recruit Guelph service available to students and alumni.
CURRENT POSTINGS (older posts at the top):
INTERNSHIP / RESIDENCY
Equine Internship in NH - Deadline April 30, 2017
STUDENT SUMMER EMPLOYMENT
Newer postings at the bottom:
Summer Student Research Assistantships
Be sure to check out the Undergraduate Research Assistantships (URAs) and the Undergraduate Student Research Assistantships (USRAs) offered in the departments of OVC. In addition to these, a few positions are available for students interested in pursuing research over the summer months. In order to apply, potential faculty advisors must submit a proposal for the funding available, and students will then be solicited in February for applications for projects that are chosen for funding.
Some additional information on summer research for DVM students include:
- The Summer Career Oppotunities and Research Exploration (CORE) Program is an educational program offering summer research students the opportunity to experience exciting talks, attend round table discussions and network with DVMs with a variety of career paths, prepare a research poster and visit several research facilities. The program is open to DVM, BSc and other undergraduate students who are working on summer research projects at OVC. Registrations are due in May. Students present an oral presentation of their research plans in May, and a summary of their work in August by presenting a poster in a conference style setting. SLRP does not provide funding, it is open to all summer researchers at OVC. NB This is not a FUNDING program but a program open to students working at OVC over the summer.
- The Merial Veterinary Summer Internship Program provides an industrial research experience to those who have interest in laboratory animal medicine, comparative medicine, pathology, or related areas in biomedical research. The internships are open to all veterinary students. Deadline is February 2017.
There are many ways to gain additional veterinary experience outside the classroom:
- Follow this link for the Canadian Veterinary Reserve information session presentation.
- The Veterinary Experience Program (VEP) is a learner-centred program established at the Ontario Veterinary College to provide crossover between academics and the world of work.
- OVC Pet Trust also has many networking opportunities for student veterinarians. Pet Trust promotes the health and quality of life of companion animals. The fund supports studies and special projects that improve the quality of care pets receive and leads to advances in veterinary medicine. Visit the web page or contact Robin at firstname.lastname@example.org for potential opportunities.
Global Vets is a program at the Ontario Veterinary College which offers student veterinarians a unique opportunity to investigate animal health care in developing countries.
For other volunteer opportunities in the Guelph community:
- The goal of Student Volunteer Connections is to promote student involvement in non-profit organizations in the Guelph community by providing students with up to date volunteering opportunities. This site is managed by the University of Guelph.