OVCAA Board of Directors
Join the OVC Alumni Association (OVC AA) Board and work with an exciting group of professionals to promote the Ontario Veterinary College, become involved with alumni programming and meet fellow graduates. As a member of the OVC AA board, you will have an exciting opportunity to network with other veterinary professionals and OVC community members. You will become an influential member in the OVC community, and assist the College as it launches its 150th Anniversary celebration. You will expand the environment of philanthropy at OVC and campus-wide by leading by example.
- Play an active role in the strategic implementation and development of the OVC AA, through committee work
- Provide leadership and contribute to governance of the OVC AA
- Attend and participate in meetings, study relevant documents as required
- Become familiar with the OVC AA function and history
- Understand the strategic priorities for the OVC
- Participate in decision making
- Assist with the brainstorming of ideas on topics such as increasing membership, participation, fundraising, etc.
- Participate in alumni, student, college, university, UGAA, etc. events. Act as an ambassador for OVC AA and assist in increasing awareness and participation of alumni and students
- Assist with one or more OVC AA committees
- Participate in the recruitment of Board members and volunteers
- Expand the environment of philanthropy at OVC by leading by example
- One-year term with the option to renew
- Approximately 20 hours commitment per year consisting of:
- Five board meetings; and
- Annual General Meeting in June
- Time commitment for committees varies depending on committee (which are determined during the first two meetings of the year)
- Must be a member of the OVC AA , a student currently pursuing studies at OVC (graduate or undergraduate), or a current faculty member
- Enthusiasm and creativity
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Commitment to the mission and vision of the OVC and the University of Guelph
- Ability to travel or teleconference to Guelph for meetings
For more information, please contact Tara Collins at email@example.com or 519.824.4120 ext.54454
Mentorship Opportunities for Alumni
Your experience and career choices can help students explore different career options. Share your knowledge of fields such as academia, government, research or industry, or your expertise in equine, food animal, companion animal care or specialties such as surgery or emergency medicine. Your bio is viewed by students who then contact you via e-mail to learn from you. You can be a mentor from anywhere in the world provided you have email.
Remember what it was like to survive your first years at OVC? The tricks you learned to help you through could benefit Phase I students. Mentors must have graduated within the last seven years, be within travelling distance to OVC, and commit to regular contact (can be mostly via e-mail) with their assigned students. Students choose mentors working in areas in which they are interested, and you are encouraged to share your passion, experience and lessons learned with your future colleagues. Networking and visits to your workplace strongly recommended!
Veterinary Experience Program
Opportunities to "mentor by example" through day-long or half-day job-shadowing sessions with first- or second-year students. A meaningful opportunity for OVC alumni to help students gain practical skills, explore career options and network.
For more information about mentoring veterinary students, contact Elizabeth Lowenger, Diversity & Careers Coordinator, phone: 519-824-4120 ext. 54430, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org